Nuts and Bolts

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... with the engine basically out including rad support. The interior out, and tranny out i have a lot of parts laying around. I took pictures and documented as much as I could. However i feel like no amount of documentation would have sufficed to create the perfect guide to putting everything back. Especially considering the age of the truck and the various previous owners jerry rigging stuff. I have a lot of bolts. Is there a guide to what goes where. I want to do it by the book, problem is there isnt a "book" as far as i can find. Any recommendations on this? Barring i try to go find these nuts and bolts at the local hardware store. I seen bronco graveyard selling some pricey stainless fastener kits. Almost feeling desperate enough to spend the money just because their bags are labeled. Thank you in advance!

Also what thread locker does everyone prefer? loctite, teflon, gasket sealer, etc?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you take it apart, you group the bolts with the parts they go with. Or you screw them back in loosely into the part.

You are right, it can be overwhelming. But you have to break it down into little sections to conquer, don't look at the whole big thing. One section at a time. If you have a mess, get out there right now before you forget too much and try to organize things and put the bolts in their proper area with the parts they go with.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures, paper or plastic bags, and a marker. Same way you do it whether it's an idi or a Ferrari. Speciality fasteners lmctruck or Bronco graveyard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not quite. I can easily work on my truck. If I could afford a Ferrari, then I could also afford to pay someone else to work on it for me.
Friend owns an exotic shop, many people are stretched far beyond their means to give off the appearance of having $$

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume a guy with a Ferrari has several more working reliable capable cars sitting around.

The this whole project has evolved. If I would have known it would turned in to this, I would have waited for later in life. Hebtruckndeserves a frame off approach. However that's not in the cards at the moment. Time is ticking along. I wait 10 years and I wouldn't have the joy of my kids in the rear view bumping along on a bench seat. More importantly they wouldn't have the memory either. All in all it's been worth tackling despite the hurricane qundary I find myself in at the moment. Thanks gents. I appreciate all the feedback.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

pafixitman

Reaction score
I would assume a guy with a Ferrari has several more working reliable capable cars sitting around.

The this whole project has evolved. If I would have known it would turned in to this, I would have waited for later in life. Hebtruckndeserves a frame off approach. However that's not in the cards at the moment. Time is ticking along. I wait 10 years and I wouldn't have the joy of my kids in the rear view bumping along on a bench seat. More importantly they wouldn't have the memory either. All in all it's been worth tackling despite the hurricane qundary I find myself in at the moment. Thanks gents. I appreciate all the feedback.

You bring up a good point. Short version is I was out of state first 5 years of separation and divorce. Needed to sell my dually (avatar picture) to avoid a bench warrant for support. I’m back now and both kids live with me and talk about “old blue “ and the camping trips or even wrenching on her.

enjoy the memories while you can.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You all assume too highly of exotic owners..

And to your second point, yes. I don't think it needs to be rolling to form great memories with dad though. When I was a kid my dad had a 1968 toronado, 1965 impala, and 1974 grand am and I'll forever remember those times of sitting next to him asking questions until he said no more questions for the day.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working on the third truck in row that I've completely blown apart everything, full interior removed, including the dash, engine, trans, and all of the wiring. My advice, take tons of photos! More than one of the same thing but different views is very helpful. Bag small items and painters tape to identify. Reuse as many factory fasteners as possible. If you need to clean fasteners, best tool I found is cheap Harbor Freight vibratory \ polishing machine. Fill it with regular old play sand throw the fasteners in and let run overnight.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions. I will only add, that a label maker comes in handy as well.

Rock

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions. I will only add, that a label maker comes in handy as well.

Rock
I second this one. I obsessively label things when I’m taking them apart. Much easier to read than my hand writing, you can get more info on a smaller label, and they hold up well enough to leave em in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 oclock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On about half the bolts I'm a day late and a dollar short. From here on out though I'm changing my ways thank you for the advice especially the rock tumbler. That is going to save me loads of cleaning I reckon.