*** NOW!!!!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Well,Yet another problem....I am getting really close to pulling a Travis and Jump ship.Now the Glow plug relay is staying on.It worked perfectly on the bad engine and now with 8 brand new Berus it doesn't turn off.This guy really Freaked me good.Also,couldn't get the dang Magnetic pickup in the hole.Guess I will try again tomorrow.Also couldn't get my dang Ferret to work right.Gonna have to sand the crap outta the injector line I guess.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This problem is usually caused by a bad ground from teh controller to the block or wherever you're grounding it. I've had mine do this a couple of times since I switched to the SS controller. Can't help you on the other stuff, good luck,
J.D.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
I did every redneck trick I could think of to clean out the Timing hicky but to no avail.I will try again thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,etc.Hee hee hee,Pistol cleaning kit,bore cleaner,some sand paper in place of cleaning pads,used some cleaning pads,Screw driver,screwdriver wrapped in sand paper,etc.Also,does anyone have a belt diagram?I think these numb nuts put the powerstearing belt in the wrong crank groove or bent the bracket.

Lastly,I am taking bet on how far off the timing actually is.Anyone wanna put down some money?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Mr. T. said in "Rocky".

I predict...... PAIN!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing is 2 teeth too far advanced on the gear, and about right on the pump(by the static marks) which means it is still way too far advanced, my guess.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
hee hee hee,More stuff wrong

Ok,I think I have come to the conclusion the pump is dead.Went out tonight to finally time her.Well,I stole....I mean borrowed a 5/16th drill from work(You folks with dirty holes,I'm bringing it) and modified it to a "Reamer" of sorts.Ground the tip to a dang near perfect 90 degree(AKA-Redneck End mill?).Cleaned out the grunge and got the magnetic pickup in place.Went to fire up the truck to make sure the pickup was working.Turned the key on,Fuel pump switch and walked back under the hood(DANG IT!GP relay went into pulse mode in 3 seconds.....there went them brand new GPs!) to jump the starter relay....well,she Hit but went straight to Wide open and I guess around 3-4000RPM for about 1 second before acting like it ran outta fuel.Ruh oh.Jump the relay again and would just crank and crank and crack all while blowing white/grey smoke outta the tail pipe and leaking down pipe(Found what is wrong too!You ain't gonna believe it).Ok,Went back to the cab and Cycled the key a couple times thinking maybe glow plugs cooled down.She fired back up for 1 second at WOT again.......Hmmmm,Not good.Pulled the tank cap and there was a good stream of fuel from the return line so i am getting decent fuel atleast to the return lines on the pump and engine.Decided to pull the filter and dump the contents in a container.This was a bad thing.Pulled the filter and found substancial amounts of Rust and some silver slivers of metal(they could have been threads gauling).Dumped the rusty red fuel....Ummmm,I mean nasty Green fuel...Yea,Green,that's it....around the yard to kill some Super bushes that just won't go away.put the container under the filter mount thingy again and turned on the pump.Ran about a quart to quart and half into the once clean container again and found more rust.I am thinking that some water collected in the bottom of the big tank.Maybe it got past the filter some how and killed the pump.Well,back up front I decided to snoop around(and at this point had called Whitehorse to BS with him a minute) and see what all is really screwed up.Found a water pump bolt that also holds the bracket for the PS pump and AC compressor backed out about 1/8th inch,Top bolt on the passenger side grounding point of the engine is about 1/4" back out(GRRRRRR!),Looked at the return line at the #8 injector and T fitting that goes to the tank and the numb nuts used too long of a line and it folded over so there is no fuel flow.Figures,he had to screw up the hardest toget to line under the hood!Right under the dang turbo!While at the turbo I decided to see if I could figure out what is wrong with the housing to DP connection....Ummm,you ain't gonna believe this Chit!This guy is a Mechanic?***!For those that don't know,the Bank turbo system has a Flange on the outlet housing of the exhaust side and a matching flange on the down pipe.there is a stamped metal clamp with a V notch in it that when tightned the two flanges act as wedges and are pushed together......well,they only do this when the flanges are in the notch!The bottom was in the notch but the top was no where near in the correct location.The clamp is pushed too far towards the turbo and the flat spot is on the edges of both flanges which means they ain't closed up!DUHHHHH.Looks like next week it is gonna be a wrench slinging last minute bash to get everything buttoned up and ready for the rally.Please Ken!If you read this,get the pump out monday.....and I hope I can get in touch and see if he will Overnight it for a little more green!

On a side note,I ordered a few more IDI things last night.Bought 3 gauges(Oil Pressure,Water Temp,and 0-150PSI boost gauge(Just kidding,onboard air pressure gauge) for $140 shipped(got ***** on shipping) and a pair of 31 IPs one with hard lines for $60 bucks plus $25 shipping(again,*****!) from Ebay.Rebuildable cores but for the BIN price of $35(Did the Make offer thing and got it for $25) for the one without lines and $53(again,Make Offer of $35 got it!) for the one with lines I couldn't pass the deal up on some future cores!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I thought it had to be something like that for your no power issue, I mean the turbo not connected right. Guess you'll be waiting for the stage 1 pump before you can do much of anything else. Good luck with it, but be sure to check the gear timing before just assuming it was the pump(but this is an excellent possibility)

stiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

- president Calvin Coolidge

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frieght , if that pinched return line bleeds the IP hsg. it will cause all kinds of wierd IP problems, BTDT on a 6.2, I would pull the top cover and affirm the pump gear timing, sounds off as said by JD. Does that mechanic own his tools or rent them from autozone??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online