Not So Fast/ KYSlowhand

KYSlowhand

Reaction score
Been a CDL driver-hand, but enjoy my little '88 Super Duty/ Dump.
First load I brought out of the river quarry tested She-It; 20000gw.
Great feeling that 7.3 IDI pulled 3rd gear almost Over the Top; not a
small hill.

Researching OB.com for brake drag/ caliper drag, changing out cab, and
maintenance stuff. Especially interesting reading was tips on coolant-
avitation issue with IDI engines, also alternative fuel use.

AVATAR is the truck, an Ohio veteran salty dog too: two shocks not
directly connected and seat belts connected to naught. Good things are
all the caked on salt shows no OIL- ODometer is 60k. Previous owner
says changed clutch to 11" and the shifter is tight. Pictures will not
improve the image of this vehicle.

I enjoy mechanicing what I can; age makes a lot of Done That >
don't anymore.... What's It worth? To me nothing can buy it. Just need
a huge machinery shed/ shop cause I've got toooo many internal
combustion vehicles. I have some experience with making the castings,
machining and assembling such stuff. Best days of my life back in the
summer of 69.

Drive Careful It's all about getting there.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm glad that you took the step from just doing research to joining in. To me, how your truck looks isn't as important as how it runs. Mine aren't pretty either.

KYSlowhand

Reaction score
Welcome. I'm glad that you took the step from just doing research to joining in. To me, how your truck looks isn't as important as how it runs. Mine aren't pretty either.
Yep an old style [ones build out of metal] Bronco could temp me; love being able to take her top off.
guess the word is work, not for SHOW.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
[ones build out of metal]
:Thumbs UpDon't find that any more!
love being able to take her top off.
When I got my 86 Bronco, an old timer told me that if the top doesn't leak, never take it off. If you do, it will leak. Mine didn't leak so I left it where it was. I have no idea if it's true or not, but I decided to not take any chances.

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the phenolic brake pistons do warp over time (at least in my truck's history) then they hang-up with even the slightest tap and don't retract. of course, then the pads remain in contact with the disc = highass heat !!! then you really need to pull over and let 'em cool off - only way I've found on side of highway is to douse them in water. they'll retract then. Course, then you got a chance of cracking/warping a disc. I've had to replace everything at least once. had one hang up again last year - re-greased brake caliper pins, hasn't happened again -- yet.......... If you could find metal brake pistons, that could be the answer -- however, don't if such an animal exists

KYSlowhand

Reaction score
:Thumbs UpDon't find that any more!

When I got my 86 Bronco, an old timer told me that if the top doesn't leak, never take it off. If you do, it will leak. Mine didn't leak so I left it where it was. I have no idea if it's true or not, but I decided to not take any chances.

Leaks are destructive if the interior is not waterproof. Have only a couple of times rode in such a vehicle; I liked a convertible feeling without rain falling on my head when going slow/ stopped. T-tops must be the same way, an old timer told me, a rubber lubricant on door-seals and such helps prevent air or water leaks. Probably in this century WD-40 is correct for such applications. AC was getting popular by the time our '88s were made, I don't know if my AC works but probably not at this time.

And yes like you, Go is better than Show.

KYSlowhand

Reaction score
the phenolic brake pistons do warp over time (at least in my truck's history) then they hang-up with even the slightest tap and don't retract. of course, then the pads remain in contact with the disc = highass heat !!! then you really need to pull over and let 'em cool off - only way I've found on side of highway is to douse them in water. they'll retract then. Course, then you got a chance of cracking/warping a disc. I've had to replace everything at least once. had one hang up again last year - re-greased brake caliper pins, hasn't happened again -- yet.......... If you could find metal brake pistons, that could be the answer -- however, don't if such an animal exists

Flaming brakes - yep have seen a few trucks on the way down a hill hoping the fire would stay behind them. carid.com has caliper seals; I have honed and put brake wheel cylinders back into working condition. As a precaution I stop to check for heating in the hubs, also down shift to reduce braking. Possibly the brakes are original @60K > metal caliper pistons- will find out soon as possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online