Not enough boost

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so on my 94 factory Turbo Is only making about 5psi. Is there any thing I should be looking at to see why so little? Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Ford forced ATS to make their factory turbo inoperable, because they didn't want it to outperform their gas pot 460, start by changing the downpipe and exhaust and see how much that helps, if still not enough, change the actual turbo.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Stock ti should be a psi or two higher than what he is seeing though.

I would inspect the turbo and see how it looks. Perhaps change the air filter.

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have the upgraded down pipe and had the turbo rebuilt by majestic turbo in waco when i put it in. No exhaust leaks but an intake leak is possible. is there anyway to turn it up? Like set the waste gate or something?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Well, you could either adjust the wastegate rod or completely disconnect the boost line from it. The latter will allow the turbo to build as much boost as it wants/is capable of. 5 psi does sound a little low. Check for boost leaks on the intake side first, if you suspect a boost hose leaking, a little hairspray on the inside can do wonders you've just got to be quick about it. Out of curiousity, do you know what your IP timing is set at? Have you turned the fuel up at all? Both of those factors can affect boost as well.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I turned my pump up and blocked the wastegate hose. Under load it'll hit 14 psi. To check for intake leaks spray starting fluid around the intake gaskets, snail shell and turbo cold side at idle, it'll race if theres a leak. Soot is a good indicator of a hot side leak.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More data please. What are your maximum EGT's, how many miles are on your injection pump and injectors?

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill try those tricks out today and I haven't adjusted my pump or anything so it should still be at stock. My timing I've set by ear until I can get a meter The entire engine, injectors and pump only have about 2200 on them its all a fresh rebuild. No idea on egt's yet. I ordered a auber Pyro and am just waiting on it to come in.