no start problem

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello, my motor cranks and cranks and smoke comes out the exhaust like a cold start but wont start anyone have an idea?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
First give us your vehicle year trans 4wd or not turbo or not ect in your signature so we know what truck you own. Is the wait to start light coming on? If so for how long? When it goes out is the relay making a clicking sound? Did you check the shrader valve on the fuel filter, to see if fuel is coming out? How much fuel do you have in the tank(S)? Where are you in NJ?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your glow plugs are not working correctly

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your glow plugs are not working correctly

yes my glow plugs are not working but u would think after cranking for a while with a high torque starter would build enough heat when its in the 60s around here as far as the other info goes my truck is a 1993 f250 with a remanufactured 94.5 idi turbo yes vin k and the wait to start light doesn't common but I have started it before without it being on, also the glow plug relay is working but the glow plugs are not im sure its something stupid I should have thought of just to frustrated so not thinking real well

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also forgot to say that my shrader valve pushes out nothing but fuel and has fuel to the injectors also, injectors are all brand new and so is the injectore pump bull moose pump and moose mark 2 injectors

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Yup sounds like glow plugs. Pull the wires off of them then take a test light connect it to you positive on the battery and touch each glow plug. If it lights its good. No light no good.And since all the wires are off the glow plugs you can hit it with a little either to get it to start to rule out anything else. Were in NJ are you? I,m in Old Bridge

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Galloway and well I don't wonna put ether in her because did that and she wanted to detonate so not going risk that and glow plugs could seriously make it not start I mean before I used the block heater cause my controller went bad and had to get a new one but started fine without them. that was also with a n.a. motor don't know if that would effect it any?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Block heater= longer action glowplugs. One in the same. Do the same thing practically. Ie: aid in starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Block heater= longer action glowplugs. One in the same. Do the same thing practically. Ie: aid in starting.

I'll give it a shot but just seems weird and what if my glow plug have ground is there still a chance they don't work?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Galloway, okay you are like 90 miles from me. Use wd40 instead of the either.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ground at glow plugs but when I test for power when my relay clicks I don't have any coming off the harness so little confused by that to my knowledge the relay is hooked up right

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relay probably carboned up on the inside, or the fusible links in the gp harness are done.

Yea my relay and controller were replaced where is the glow plugs usable links?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's in the wire. Lol
New relay doesn't mean good relay.
If you don't have power coming from the relay, it's the relay, or before the relay.