No start- ideas?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Yesterday the truck was starting fine, put new batts in it, now when I turn the key:

I get an initial "click" and then everything goes dead.
All batt cables and terminals OK, batts reading 12.67V
After the click, ignition sw doesn't do anything, no acc or KOEO, no power
After a few minutes, turning the ign works acc and KOEO but when you go to start everything dies again

What does this sound like? Ign switch, solenoid, starter? Any ideas why it dies and seems to "reset"? Is there a fusible link or breaker on the circuit?
Please help! I got to get back out and work, or this truck will be my undoing!

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
OK now I have NO POWER to anything even with the key off. Not even int lights or brakelights. Can anyone point me in a general direction?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
OK never mind it was these stupid gold-plated blinged-up terminals this guy put on here...those have got to go!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well that was an easy fix. What gold plated terminals are you refering to.. A pic would help us to "see" this...:D Glad you found what was wrong. I hate electrical intermitent problems.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Can't post a pic right now, but the truck has a couple funky gold terminals on the neg posts of the batts, they tighten with an Allen wrench, and I don't think they have full wrap-around contact on the posts. I fixed my problem by taking them apart and re-clamping the wires and tightening the batt terminal screws.

Part of the "fun" of a new truck is re-doing all the terrible mods and "repairs" that have been done to it over its lifetime...I would be having more fun except I can't take time off from work, so I'm just fixing stuff as it comes up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So if I'm understanding this post you just entered. Its the clamp on battery terminals that are suspect. If so contact Wrangler Electronics in Portland Oregon. Buy their military battery clamps and solder on lugs. Then you never need to remove the clamps again from the battery. Just remove the bolt and the battery cables come off. I have been using them for years and never have had an issue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat