No Start/ Glow Plugs Suddenly Not Working?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the truck in early October from outta state, not inspected. Haven't been able to get it inspected because every time I fix something another problem is found and I am scraping every penny right now. PO said the truck was a daily driver. I'm basically just starting it and letting it run once a week til I can get the damn thing on the road. Drove it to dinner on Thanksgiving, about 50 miles give or take, two stops round trip - one problem - every time I accelerated the fuel filter warning light came on.

Had it started and running fine last weekend, no roll just run. Tried to start today around 2pm and the WTS light did not come on, no click. guages work, standard oil and batt lights on with key turned per normal. When I turned key to start it cranked and cranked - no start. This is new. Tried 3 times, crank noise did not change, it did not sputter, just cranked. While cranking, the "water in fuel" light and the "fuel filter" light were on.

I'm in PA. Temps have maxed in the low thirties, high teens overnight. It was in the mid to upper twenties when I tried starting it.

I just trying to understand what would suddenly cause the glow plugs to stop working?

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a sudden issue like that I would start with a quick look at all of the wiring. When i bought my truck they didnt work and it wound up being a ground on the glow plug controller disconnected. Make sure all of your glow plug wires are connected too. There isn't a whole lot to the system. If everything looks good you can check the ignition power to the controller with the key on to see if the controller is getting a signal to turn on. Then move to the glow plugs and check them with a resistance check. If everything is good there then you may have a bad controller. If you haven't heard, make sure you use motorcraft/beru plugs. Everything else is dangerous for your engine.. tips fall off into cylinders. So while you're at it, see if they're autolights and if they are, you may watch to swap them out now to save a huge headache later. Hope this helps!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually the sudden loss of glowplugs is from the 2 yellow wires that feeds power from the fender mounted solenoid to the controller has melted the main engine wire harness plug. Find the plug either on the passenger side fender well or the drivers side. See if any melting had happened. Pull the plug apart and check for corrosion. We recommend bypassing the plug and running a 6 gauge wire directly to the controller for power but careful. This wire is always powered up from the battery just like the alternater heavy wire is and the starter. You have about 2000 amps ready to jump to ground if any of these wires touch something.. they melt faster than a **** dress comes off in the back seat of a 55 chevy.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, sorry I did not mention that I replaced glow plugs about a month ago with Motorcraft/Beru. When I bought the truck, key on would make repeated clicking and WTS light would go out almost immediately. After replacement of plugs, one click, WTS light went off after 20 seconds, fired right up.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am heading out now to trouble shoot... icfa, does disconnecting from the battery cut the power supply? I don't know much, but I know me and I can almost guarantee that wire is gonna bump into something while I'm blindly reaching for the tool I didn't think I needed....

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I found the glow plug harness and traced wires to the engine wire harness. That would be this, correct? The yellow circle is highlighting the male end...
You must be registered for see images attach

I didn't find any melting or burnt areas, in fact there is grease on the plugs, None of the wires in this harness are yellow.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I can't tell you on your harness what end the two wires are the power to the controller is but its on one ot the other end. Find the fender mounted solenoid and find what wires are connected into one single lug. thats 2 wires crimped into one lug. Then see what color that is and then see if its the same color on the controller. If so you have found the power to the controller. Not sure what else to tell you about why your having issues.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, can do. I guess I was looking for verification that I was holding the engine wire harness plug you mentioned and that I was in the right spot to be looking for melted wires, damage, corrosion, etc.
I had the wrong idea of what the solenoid looked like. I will report shortly. Thanks!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. It's on the passenger fender, right behind the battery.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

I was looking for the wrong thing. I know exactly where and what it is now. I will be back shortly...

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is the solenoid I'm looking for:

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the glow plug harness:

which ones are power?

Last edited:

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, I was checking connections on the glow plug harness and while tightening the nut on the thick red wire the whole piece broke off of the harness... Can anyone direct me to a cheap replacement?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online