no start, gelling and or air leak

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced fuel tank added shower head 3 days ago. Tested fine. Replaced lift pump 3 days ago ran fine. 2 days ago replaced 2 return lines and replaced oring in ip to filter and ip to return line.took a couple tries bleeding air to start. Ran for 45 minutes to gfs house ran great. Started yesterday started rough but evened out quickly ran 20 minutes to seminar sat for 8 hours started then died. Cranked and floored it started choked black smoke died. Cranked several times no start. Here today cilled ilter with diesel 911 no start. Not even attempting to turn over but batts are run down. Got my gfs car hooked up to it but slow cranking.
The reason I have been doing return line and ip orings is bcause when I shut down truck and look in fuel filter it is half full. Thus was happening bfore lift pump etc. Mel says if filter half full then the leak is in filter head to return lines or ip. In the time it takes me to fill filter get in truck and crank for a while half of the filter has drained. Sorry for the lack of punctuation it is 15 +wind chill. Need to get this truck started.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got enough juice in batts to turn over half decent but still nothing. I kept the filtrr inside overnight to soften any wax buildup in the filter but seems the fuel drain from the filter is causing bigger problems...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have a gelling problem, gelled fuel will not drain back. You have an air intrusion at the filter. Possibly the heater connection on top of the filter.

Attachments

• Fuel Return Line.jpg
    Fuel Return Line.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 63

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After typing everything out and thinking about it I started wondering how the fuel could drain back but not pull through. Thanks, Im on it. Ill post when I can.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced oring in hard line at ip, but didnt have another one for the filter side. It is badly damaged. I am looking at that as the cause. When I grt that sealed up ill give it a try.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered o ring. Cause its a "band" I cut off a piece of hose to use temporarily to test at the filter head side of hard line to ip. Crank but no start. Removed filter and half full again so no change. Removed filter head, unscrewed fitting to open filter head, but have to pickup girls. Will report tomorrow.

Last edited:

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked the work I did recently, found no leaks but I understand air can draw in before fuel seeps out and shows itself.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck still stuck at hotel. Definitely leaking air at fuel heater. Touched gp relay with screwdriver accidentally, got some sparks. Now wts light notcoming on and getting random clicking... did I just burn up the brand new relay or could it be the controller? Ordered orings. Should be in tomorrow.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tested gp's, got one bad one. Had an exposed wire as well so I fixed that. Picked up fuel heater o-ring, picking up hard line o-rings and 1 glow plug this afternoon. My master cylinder decided to spring a leak while the truck has been sitting since Tuesday not moving.... Glad I have money to fix that.... oh wait, no I don't.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced burnt plug. Relay is working properly, replaced ip to filter orings, fuel heater oring, filter head to lift pump oring. Charged batteries at AA. Will test tonight. Still stuck at hotel. If the fuel heater is such an iffy thing, is there a problem with removing the metal "cup" and heating discs and just keeping the top part with the oring to plug the hole?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look into that, thanks. So I put in the batteries. Cranked much faster. Fired up once I got air out of lines. Ran for 30 seconds shut off. Black smoke from exhaust, checked filter its half full. Girlfriend showed up, filled filter, she cranked. Shrader shooting fuel, truck fired, ran for 10 seconds shut off. Had her crank again and shrader spittin mostly air no fire. Filter half full.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unscrewed filter and held it under head while gf cranked-fuel poured out of head so new lift pump seems good.went back over recent work including hose from ip to injector, return line hose to junction at firewall seemed good. What am I missing? How can half the fuel filter drain so fast? I am out of ideas. I need some help guys.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds more like the IP is sucking the filter down.
Which is why I asked fuel level.

How old is the filter?
Wouldn't hurt to try a new one.

Run a hose from the pump to a fuel can, just for S's & G's.

You used a mechanical pump or electric?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online