No power

JohnSWA

Reaction score
I have an 03 that drives ok, but when climbing hills and trying to pass traffic, I have no power! I used to hit the throttle and the power would throw me back in my seat! I think my turbo took a dump. What do you think? I'm soooo much not looking forward to taking my truck to the the dealer for a warrantee problem. I know they'll fight tooth and nail on any turbo problems.

tgatch

Reaction score
Could be a couple things. EGR could be horribly dirty. You may have an old EBP (Exhaust Back pressure) sensor. Your VGT (Variable Geomtry Turbo) sensor could be gone too.

I've had 2 EGRs, 2 EBPs, and on VGT. Any or all of those could cause the issue you described above. A good way to tell if it is you EBP sensor is if you are cruising allon on level ground at about 35mph or so you will hear the turbo spool and drop repeatedly. My VGT sensor just made the truck run like garbage, it would shake like it was missing sitting at a stop light. The EGR just made it feel sluggish.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the egr would cuase a sluggish condition, then power surge

with the new ford reprogram, the EBP is cut out of deciding boost and other things, and the signal is substituted by the pcm looking at a few other sensors and coming up with an ebp reading.

ive seen some trucks come in with lack of power, and the reason why they werent running 100% was because an injcector or two was droping out, even though the owner didnt feel a miss...

my dealer readily throws turbos on trucks, we have an underboost/overboost code, or the MGP sees abnormal boost numbers, 9 times outa 10 that trucks geting a turbo, i did one just today, the vgt was sticking, witch is what fails on most turbos. with 6.0 trucks you really have to be mean to them to keep the turbos from failing, if you granny foot the truck, you will be doing aturbo on it every 50k or less...but my bet is your power loss is probably a turbo issue, are you hearing the infamouse turbo chatter, where the turbo vents the boost back threw the intake, at all?

gleninaz

Reaction score
John-did you get a new turbo? They finally put a new one on my '04. I was getting a total loss of power when running WOT up a hill then it would kick in and go. Seems to have fixed the problem. It was no hassle and took one day. Ford knows all about the turbo issues and even sent me a check for the $100 deductible I paid.

Glen

JohnSWA

Reaction score
Wow! That's a smoking deal, Glen! Actually after they did the latest flash, it seems to be performing better, although I haven't climbed any hills yet. I recently purchased an older slide in camper, so I'll take the wife out for a weekend camping trip and see how it does.

By the way... which Ford dealer did you take it to? I purchased mine out of state, but the folks at Berge Ford have treated me right so far.

JohnSWA

Reaction score
Thanks, Glen! I'll have to give them a try if I still have the problem.

On another note, did you put in for the draw this year? I know... dumb question.

gleninaz

Reaction score
Yep. Put in for everything. We have 6 points for elk and are hoping to get a bull tag but never know. Good luck on the draw.

JohnSWA

Reaction score
gleninaz said:
Yep. Put in for everything. We have 6 points for elk and are hoping to get a bull tag but never know. Good luck on the draw.

With 6 points, I'd have to say it's in the bag, but with the way the draw is **cked up this year... who knows?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online