No more whistle with full exhaust

7.3IDIT

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm usually a lurker but I know have a question. I have a 94 idi factory turbo with the banks downpipe and now a full 4" exhaust. When I bought the truck it was all stock exhaust wise but shortly after taking ownership I installed the banks dp to get rid of the factory crushed crap. So I ran it open downpipe for almost a year and the turbo whistled like a tea kettle, even up to this morning before I got the whole exhaust finished. I picked it up earlier and was exceptionally disappointed by the fact it sounds like I don't even have a turbo now. It's a full 4" from the dp back straight through without a muffler. What gives? Did putting the exhaust on really muffle it that much? The waste gate is at the factory setting still. Now I have the hypermax cowl intake on its way and I'm hoping it'll bring back a little noise from it so it'll sound like a turbo diesel again. Am I missing something here or is that just the norm? I've searched before posting bit I didn't really find my exact same setup I have now. Thanks again for any insight. Also just thought, would getting my pump timed help?

Last edited:

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you had stock muffler/exhaust all the way from the downpipe, now you replaced that all with 4" straight from the DP?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Running the down pipe and nothing else will make it whistle but. Now running a staight pipe changes that some. Its still whistling but its at the tail pipe only. Not under your feet. If you remove the air filter and drive around that way it will whistle loudly. By accident I found this out in 2009 driving home from the Ky rally. The turbo was noticeable whistling louder and louder so I stopped and checked under the hood. Found the air filter rubber tube had slipped off the turbo inlet. Fixed that and all was normal quite again. Cept the sound out the tail pipe whistle. Drive next to a concrete block wall and listen with the windows rolled down. I bet you hear it again... Welcome to the forum too...

7.3IDIT

Reaction score
So you had stock muffler/exhaust all the way from the downpipe, now you replaced that all with 4" straight from the DP?

When I bought it, it had all stock from turbo back, i could hear a faint whistle. I quickly ditched the stock crushed dp for the banks and ran it open for almost a year. It whistled like crazy up until today I got the 4" straight installed and it's like I put on the ol turbo delete

7.3IDIT

Reaction score
Running the down pipe and nothing else will make it whistle but. Now running a staight pipe changes that some. Its still whistling but its at the tail pipe only. Not under your feet. If you remove the air filter and drive around that way it will whistle loudly. By accident I found this out in 2009 driving home from the Ky rally. The turbo was noticeable whistling louder and louder so I stopped and checked under the hood. Found the air filter rubber tube had slipped off the turbo inlet. Fixed that and all was normal quite again. Cept the sound out the tail pipe whistle. Drive next to a concrete block wall and listen with the windows rolled down. I bet you hear it again... Welcome to the forum too...

See that's kinda what I was figuring. Being as it was dumping by my feet before. Hopefully the intake will make it more audible again. I drove by a building with my drivers window down thinking is at least hear it some, and nothing :(. Before of course it was screaming lol. Thanks for the warm welcome :)

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh okay, yeah it's still whistling the same, it's just 10 feet behind you now! Yeah, welcome to the forum!

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Ran with just the downpipe - lots of whistle. Added exhaust - way less. Like said it's still there, just far enough behind you that you can't really hear it.
Then I threw the ats air filter housing away, and ran a cold air intake using abs pipe and an AFE filter. With the CAI, the whistle is back. I highly recommend the CAI for the sound alone - and my mileage went up drastically because now I can here the turbo singing during normal driving.

7.3IDIT

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks for the insight guys. I'll throw this hypermax on hopefully this weekend and report back with results

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could always run exhaust behind front passenger wheel to bring it closer! I stuffed my downpipe into the exhaust but havent welded it yet (out of gas.) still whistling and exhausting out tailpipe

7.3IDIT

Reaction score
Well for now I'll leave the exhaust as is since I just had it finished lol. As for the hypermax cowl intake, not impressed. I couldn't tell a difference at all but maybe I'll pick up a mpg or something

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold air is good but at the base of the windshield/cowling valley i bet there is little air available at higher speeds. Especially with those bug deflectors that go on hoods. Id love to see a smoke test on these trucks. You could always add a scoop to ram the air down in it..

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There used to be a comedian back in the 90's who talked about a Hyundai "GT". He said it came with a cassette tape that had race car sounds on it. You could always go that route if you want more of a whistle. Just kidding. I'm just getting older and want the noise coming out a little farther away from me theses days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online