No giddyup

Skii

Reaction score
Alright wizards riddle me this:

1988 F250 HD, 7.3 IDI, Banks sidewinder turbo, freshly rebuilt. 100% rebuild- new cam, rollers, rockers, cylinder heads, valves, powerstroke valve springs, head studded, stroked .040 over, new glow system, new coolant, new G code injectors, (yea, thought they' run better with a turbo engine....) stock injection db2.

Flows through a brand new south end clutch, into a completely rebuilt ZF5-42 trans.

First drive since the rebuild I couldn't get it to go above 30mph, found out the t case was locked in 4x4 ( hadn' hooked up 4x4 linkage yet)

Second drive into town, I notice very poor throttle response, dying out in granny gear and 2nd without half gas pedal, then very sluggish acceleration. Could not get it to go any faster than 55 in 5th gear. My boost gauge showed 1 psi of boost at 3k under load in 3rd gear. That was the only time I saw boost. Egts are less than 600.... I have had a big problem getting it to start; I have to hit it with ether to get it to start. At first I thought it was needing to seat the new piston rings, but now I think it doesn' have enough fuel pressure. It does have an after market lift pump, not sure what, last owner installed it.

3 thoughts I have, 1 bad lift pump, 2 I adjusted the injection pump, turned the screw clockwise (quite a bit....) that screw might adjust pump calibration not pressure? I may have it advanced too much from that screw? 3. I adjusted the wastegate, and it isn' allowing the turbo to move air.

Thoughts?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^Though I have never timed one of these engines I would put my money on timing if you haven't already timed it with the propr tool. Is the injection pump known to be good--rebuilt or an old runner?
The injection pump only needs about 5-6 psi from the lift pump, and I think the actual low end of the spec is 3 psi--but I could be wrong. If that aftermarket lift pump is a green Mr.Gasket I would replace it with something else immediately.
And FWIW I haven't heard anything good about the G code injectors. Several members here have reported a huge difference when they switched to the old Delphi BB code.

Skii

Reaction score
My original injectors are actually BB code, I still have them might get them rebuilt in time. and the lift pump is red, I think it's made by Holley. IP was the stock pump from when I bought the truck. Never had any problems with it before and a new one from r&d was over 700 bucks so I just reused lol

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard starting could be timing, but you've got a fuel supply issue. You've either got a 'vacuum' being generated under load(so less than 0 psi, usually a blockage) or air entering along with the fuel.

Do you have a new fuel filter? If not, replace it. Get one from Napa with the integrated bottom bowl, vs the stock one that has the screw-on bottom.

Fuel pump - electric or mechanical? If mechanical, just replace it. If it's electric, test it - run the output into a bowl and make sure you are getting good flow with no air.

Start with that and go from there.

Oh, and you can't properly time it if you aren't getting consistant pressure. Low pressure = retarded timing, higher = advanced. So a restriction will mess with the timing on top of everything else.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there excessive smoke? - fwiw i've seen this before on a 4.0 diesel 60 series landcruiser that a customer had built up but couldn't get to go properly ...... looked for simple things first and discovered that he'd left a rag in the airbox and it was covering 3/4 of the air filter.

Skii

Reaction score
So I did not time the pump, I aligned the gears when I re installed it. Then turned it up. Granted, the low range cam I got would probably be best with a little bit of retarded timing huh. I have good fuel pressure, a new fuel filter, and little to no smoke except on startup. No black, no white while running.

Skii

Reaction score
Had to go get a cheap set of Allen's cause my one 5/32 was gone... So will update shortly.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
No smoke no boost= not enough fuel I would think. If it was timing alone I would expect smoke from a turned up pump. Maybe IP couldn't take it???

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said earlier. Fix the lack of fuel *to* the IP. It won't inject fuel it can't get. The fuel screw only changes the max limit - if the pump can't get fuel(blockage), it will act exactly like the limit is really low.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small Holley red fuel pump from auto stores is a gasoline transfer pump. The green Holley pump is a diesel TRANSFER pump not adiquit for driving a idi. Yes it will run but no power. If you have no black smoke you don't have any extra fuel and your burning It all. You should have at least a puff of smoke. Your issue Is most likely a lack of fuel. Retarded timing will cause blueish whitish smoke. Advanced will cause black. If your running a stock pump just throw a mechanical pump on it and leave it it's plantyvfor stock. I even have one feeding my 90cc and it's just fine.

Skii

Reaction score
What about old fuel? The truck was sitting for several months, and although I put about 15 gallons of fresh in and diesel 911 and winter service boost.

My lift pump is by no means small, and It is in fact making enough pressure (at least to the filter bowl) and I have adjusted the ip several times and now it won' even run.... I think it' because I've drained it a time or two and I got air in the lines, but..... that' what I got right now.