No crank

Dski1991

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum and fairly new to owning a 7.3 idi(3 months). I’m located in Las Vegas, Nv and if any of you guys are near please let me know, would love to meet up or help anyone that needs a second pair of hands.

As the title of the threads says, I can’t get a crank from the trunk. My daughter and I went to the store, the truck started perfect find. We finished our shopping and ready to head home and I tried turning the truck on and nothing happened. I was lucky enough to have a pair of insulated needle nose and was able to get the truck started by touching the starter solenoid.

I work at a Ford dealership and called my buddy to see if they had any starter solenoids in stock and lucky they did. I replaced it and it was a no go. I have a brand new starter and batteries. I was kind of stumped and couldn’t figure it out. I’ve been doing some research online and found that the clutch safety switch go out.

well.... I looked underneath and I don’t have one. I don’t even have a clutch shaft, my truck just has a spring. Would any of you guys be able to share some knowledge with me? I can’t find any info about my type of clutch setup online.

thank you in advance,

Devin

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The push rod for the clutch master cylinder is above the throttle pedal. The clutch pedal rotates the pivot shaft to act on the push rod. Took me a minute the first time too. The clutch safety switch is mounted on the push rod. Remove the connector and put a jumper wire between the two red wires (maybe red w/ blue tracer, going from memory here). The other two wires are for cruise control. Leave them alone for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
To clarify, is your truck auto or manual?
The push rod goes through above the throttle pedal, not the clutch pedal side.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I am always uncertain of new parts,so just to be sure the solenoid works,touch a wire from the hot side of the battery to the terminal where the small red wire is on the solenoid...Does your ignition switch act funny in any way?could be the ignition switch too..Have you tried to start it by pushing the clutch in and out?If it is the clutch switch you should be able to start it eventually after enough fooling around with the clutch pedal.

Rock

Rock

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am always uncertain of new parts,so just to be sure the solenoid works,touch a wire from the hot side of the battery to the terminal where the small red wire is on the solenoid...Does your ignition switch act funny in any way?could be the ignition switch too..Have you tried to start it by pushing the clutch in and out?If it is the clutch switch you should be able to start it eventually after enough fooling around with the clutch pedal.

Rock

Rock
I had this happen on my 93, one time would start just fine go out and try different day no start. Ended up being the clutch safety switch. By passed it works just fine now. If a person is not comfortable doing bypass just replace the switch, I grow up driving truck without one so was no issue.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I had this happen on my 93, one time would start just fine go out and try different day no start. Ended up being the clutch safety switch. By passed it works just fine now. If a person is not comfortable doing bypass just replace the switch, I grow up driving truck without one so was no issue.
Same here.none of my trucks have them anymore and since every other piece of equipment I run doesn't have a clutch safety switch I never depend on it,I just double check the truck is in nuetral.The only time I ever had something start and drive away in gear was when I was a kid,me and my dad where standing around a Case IH tractor in the barn,and we started it up,and it ran right through the closed barn doors.Not a dent on the tractor,but doors basically got ripped off.After that I learned,you can be sure of that!

Dski1991

Reaction score
The push rod for the clutch master cylinder is above the throttle pedal. The clutch pedal rotates the pivot shaft to act on the push rod. Took me a minute the first time too. The clutch safety switch is mounted on the push rod. Remove the connector and put a jumper wire between the two red wires (maybe red w/ blue tracer, going from memory here). The other two wires are for cruise control. Leave them alone for now.

awesome, I found it! I jumped it and when I was turning my key the ignition broke! I already have one on order, just waiting right now.

i will advise once I get it in, thank you for the info!

Devin

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here.none of my trucks have them anymore and since every other piece of equipment I run doesn't have a clutch safety switch I never depend on it,I just double check the truck is in nuetral.The only time I ever had something start and drive away in gear was when I was a kid,me and my dad where standing around a Case IH tractor in the barn,and we started it up,and it ran right through the closed barn doors.Not a dent on the tractor,but doors basically got ripped off.After that I learned,you can be sure of that!

My old Ranger doesn't have one. I had the clutch slave cylinder go on me once and drove it 'golf cart' style to get home. Glad I had that option.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My old Ranger doesn't have one. I had the clutch slave cylinder go on me once and drove it 'golf cart' style to get home. Glad I had that option.
You still could have driven it. You would have had to push in the clutch pedal to start the engine. That would have operated the clutch switch. That said, I HATE having one of those so mine all get bypassed.

dan-o

Reaction score
I had car back in the 70's that had a clutch cable break on me while I was about 500 miles from home. I used a key ring to loop around the cable and back to the pedal. Cable adjustment was via an external snap ring on the cable housing. I was only 19 at the time. You know how it was back then, guys. No cell phones, no internet. Just pay phones and good people who helped each other.
We helped each other because we had all been or, at sometime, would be in a similar situation. Karma, Pay it Forward, The Golden Rule. Whatever you call it, we need more of it. That's why I like this Forum. People helping each other.
I guess I'm way off topic.....but reading each others' stories gives me a sense of community.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You still could have driven it. You would have had to push in the clutch pedal to start the engine. That would have operated the clutch switch. That said, I HATE having one of those so mine all get bypassed.

Well crap, you’re totally right. I bet had that happened to me in a vehicle with a switch I would have thought it can’t be done and called for a ride. Sometime my head doesn’t work all that great, especially under stress.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I’m in the minority here. I really don’t like not having a functional clutch safety switch. As uncommon as a manual transmission is these days, I’m paranoid that someone will go to start my truck, and crash into another vehicle of mine. It’s probably because I have three children, all of driving age, in my house.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well crap, you’re totally right. I bet had that happened to me in a vehicle with a switch I would have thought it can’t be done and called for a ride. Sometime my head doesn’t work all that great, especially under stress.
I know about this because I've had to do it before.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I guess I’m in the minority here. I really don’t like not having a functional clutch safety switch. As uncommon as a manual transmission is these days, I’m paranoid that someone will go to start my truck, and crash into another vehicle of mine. It’s probably because I have three children, all of driving age, in my house.

If I had anybody besides myself driving my trucks than I would definetly want the clutch safety switch working as well,so I can definetly appreciate where you're coming from.There aren't many people I trust driving anything of mine.There is nothing like putting some blood sweat and tears into your truck then watching somebody hop in and "grind me a pound" or "if you can't find em' grind em'" if you know what I mean.

Rock

Dski1991

Reaction score
**Update**

Picking up the new ignition switch and merging the two red wires from the clutch safety switch the truck still doesn’t crank.

does anyone have any ideas?

again, new starter, starter solenoid, and glow plug relay