NEWVO

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With diesel just a little bit away from $4/gal has anyone checked to see what the price of bulk cheapo veggie oil sells for? Just curious if the price is close. I think you get less MPG on VO, is that right?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your loss in MPG would b negligible, You want to check with places like Sysco or whoever your big restaurant food suppliers are in your area. Many of them will so small cash sales. That's the good news, the bad news is that the cheap stuff is likely to be partially hydrogenated, and may be solid or cloudy near the bottom of the jug in anything less than say 80-90 degree weather. From what I can tell most of the supply houses are selling that for around $14/jug or roughly 3.12 per gallon. If you want nice canola oil expect tp pay two or three times that making it not worth it.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about it too, just havent had time to look for it, 12hr days 6 days a week dont leave any time to shop around. I also found someone selling oil by the drum, comes out to about 3.50/gal. I plan to start using "alternative" fuels soon as it warms up a bit and I get the time.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, at least if we diesel guys can go as much alternative as possible we can hurt OPEC in the pocket book a little bit if enough of us do it. In perspective, even if everyone on all the subforums did it it would be a drop in the bucket, but if everyone with a big 3 diesel P/U did it would smart just a little, like me getting a single fire ant bite. :)

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
WMO is where it's at for us, free and plentiful....Filtration is the key....Diesel is going nuts here too.....10c/L higher than gas right now.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard it mentioned before but I just found this website today, http://www.smarterfuel.com/sales.html
They say they sell filtered WVO for $2.50 a gallon in most areas. Anyone had any experience with them?

Never heard of them before, but I'm going to contact them and find out if my area is one that they cover at that price. I don't know for sure, but I expect tha catch will be how much you can buy. That has been the sticking point with buying from the couple of rendering companies I've talked to so far.

If they only sell it at that price by the truckload - like 4000 gallons at a time or something - that would kill it for most individuals. BUT, if you can put together kind of a local co-op group of 10 people in your area, say buying 400 gallons each, it could still work out.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
With diesel just a little bit away from $4/gal has anyone checked to see what the price of bulk cheapo veggie oil sells for? Just curious if the price is close. I think you get less MPG on VO, is that right?

Thinkin bout that as well. As far as mileage goes, I was running 90% veggie last summer and never really saw much of a mileage change.

cpm

Reaction score
I just emailed these smarterfuel.com folks, we'll see what they say. I notice they don't bother detailing what 'most areas' means.

Here's to hoping for the best, I think $2.50 a gallon for wvo is a rip off, but $2.50 a gallon for pre-processed fuel ain't too bad.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid $4.20 a gallon this morning!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Biodiesel production begins this weekend.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making bio is fun, make soap and degreaser with the left over waste.

Problem here in the south is lots of resturants are still using part hydrognated oils.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, thats crazy..... did a search this morning on cheapgas.com and found small town in Alaska had gas upwards $4.79 but nothing inside the states... you've got the record

cpm

Reaction score
Just fyi, email'em this AM, no reply as of yet, am begining to think 'shenanigans'.

maybe I'll call, don't want to badmouth someone without cause.

Oh wait, no contact information beyond the email address.

hrmm, ,

this is me, reserving judgement (because he wants clean filtered almost-fuel grade oil for $2.50)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online