Newby Needs Tranny Swap INfo

barefootslim

Reaction score
Howdy folks,
Finally did it!
I found a 91 first gen Dodge 2500 with the cummins in it about a week ago:thumbsup:
I've never had a diesel befor so my cherry got popped on this one.
It's in excellent condition. The interior shows no sun fade or evidence of abuse !
It's flat **** CLEAN
The body looks flat fantastic except a couple of dents on the sides of the bed where a tornado missed it but not by much.
It's an LE edition with powerful windows and tilt & cruise

My questions are many and I'm pretty much some what ill informed on the puppy!:confused:

It has the 3sp A727 Transmission and a 307 gear in the rear.

I'm thinking about swapping the tranny for an overdrive unit! (Egads):eek:
So how would I go about doing this?
I know I gotta go by the cournles and sacrifice a couple of chikens (did that At the buffett the other night)LOL

I know I'll have to Dig way to deep into my meager funds, sell two of my other gas burrners and the 91 oldsmobubble with 67 k miles, have a yard sale and quit feeding the cat, nah won't do that .... I'll just eat it:rotflmao

Any performance mods Y'all can come up with that' step it up a bit BUT keep lt rolling as it should. Look at as a truck that I can drive my friends to the parts store for the next 10 years or so:sly

Thanks in advance for your help!

Slim

Attachments

• camper & truck 071.jpg
    camper & truck 071.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 3
  • camper & truck 068.jpg
    camper & truck 068.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 1
  • camper & truck 075.jpg
    camper & truck 075.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 2
  • camper & truck 084.jpg
    camper & truck 084.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 2
  • camper & truck 088.jpg
    camper & truck 088.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 2
  • camper & truck 103.jpg
    camper & truck 103.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site;Sweet
as far as putting in a overdrive unit.....don't.
you're better off putting in a gearvendor OD than the POS factory OD trans.
when the one in mime blows, I'll be going for a manual trans.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dodge has not ever really had good luck with there auto trannies. If you want an overdrive...like Calvin said...either build your current tranny and put a overdrive off the back of it like a gear vendors...or put a manual in it.

The early auto's get eaten alive by the torque of the cummins.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Ditto the above. As far as power goes, I wouldn't worry about that until you address your transmission since that's the weak link. After that, you need to get some gauges since these trucks can get pretty hot under the hood, which will also include a tranny temp gauge since you have a slushbox. After you've addressed those issues then you can add power, which is very easy if you have a socket and a screw driver.

barefootslim

Reaction score
Hey Guys, thanks for the heads up on the tranny situation. Sorry it took so long to reply, had to get it out and drive it around the hills up here in Rkansas. It is a sweet one. smooth riding with the original shocks ( I think) no real bad habbits other than the missing over drive! I hadnt owned one with out it since "Broomhilda" the lwb 80 Ford with the extended cab, I wound up replacing just about every thing on her including the driver! (Serious POS!) :puke:

I took Her (Red dodge yet to be named)up to Hardy Arkansas and snapped a few pics. If I can get the demons out of the pooter I'll post them and let Y'all have a look see!

It is an LE Series with tilt cruise, Auto (of course) pw, Pdl, Etc, The bed looks like it's almost new! no scratches to speak of and no dents. The interior is just as good! There a couple small dents on both sides of the bed from a tornado that flung some stuff towars it! Not bad but there. Both bumpers are Dingless as well!
:hail