Newbie needs help with his first diesel (Please)

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the first order of business is to take the hose off of the inlet to the fuel filter and see if I'm getting fuel there. I have a remote switch that I can jump the starter solenoid with, but the thing has TWO solenoids. How are they wired? In series or parallel?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to a newbie diesel owner (knows from experience) there are what looks like 3 solenoids!!!

one on the starter, one on the passenger fender, and one on the back of the engine....

the one on the engine is actually your glow plug relay.
the one on passenger firewall is your starter relay that feeds your starter solenoid.

IMO, the first order of business on any of my new trucks, is to take the bed off, or drop the tanks...
taking the bed off is alot easier for me.

pop both sending units out and address the fuel pick-ups!
my truck did the same thing, i started where you started...
i by-passed water fuel seperator, fuel tank switch valve, replaced all rubber lines, replaced lift pump, and i still had issues!

it ended up being parts of the shower head that had worked its way into the senders, cutting off fuel.

so now, i just bite the bullet and start there.

there are a number of ways to delete the WFS (water fuel seperator)
you can get a separate water fuel seperator and run it where the stock unit is, or anywhere you see fit.
you can get a 89 or later fuel filter head that does this for you,
or a facet pump with a filter in it.

pretty much whatever you want to do!

the only thing you need to make sure is that everythings air tight!!!

i strongly suggest an electric fuel pump, it makes things alot easier!

good luck with your rig, and welcome to the site.
alot of other sites claim that they are #1, but you will not get better, and quicker help anywhere else ;Sweet

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to a newbie diesel owner (knows from experience) there are what looks like 3 solenoids!!! one on the starter, one on the passenger fender, and one on the back of the engine....
Actually, on my truck there are 2 solenoids on the passenger side; 1 is--as you say--on the inner fender. The other one is mounted about 3 inches away on the top of the wheel well. Wonder if that was some kind of "engineering" on someone's part ??? I'd take a pic and post it, but I'm currently at work (goofing off on this board) and the truck is lounging at home.

Pulling the bungs on the tanks was on my list of to-do's anyway; the rear sending unit is dead. So, I should probably start from the back and work my way forward.
Does anyone know if I can still get a stock sending unit from Ford?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope. discontinued.
look in the classifieds for your parts needs.
people here find things on e-bay and other places for things that most of us need/want..

heres one of my posts when i found sending units, i believe they are the same as the earlier style.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?73126-DIESEL-REAR-TANK-SENDING-UNIT!!!!!!-87-89

a bunch of honest guys in the market place. in the past 2 years ive heard of 1 instance where " the good ole boy" rule was not followed.

kiyochan

Reaction score
First find out if fuel is going into the engine at all , and if fuel is going in there does it have a lot of air. There is a youtube video on how to check for air in our old engine by temporarily replacing the fuel line with clear hose and see where the air in being injected in the system. Second IDIot is right the sending should be tackled. If the engine was warm , it's pretty much self sustaining if fuel is getting into the chamber.

gandalf

Reaction score
The starter solenoid you're looking for is on the passenger side fender. Not sure what the second one there is on your truck.

Here is a picture of mine, on a '92 CCLB. It should be close to the same. Mine will have 1 or 2 extra cables.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF9343.JPG
    DSCF9343.JPG
    774.9 KB · Views: 171

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, got one of those, and another one wired to it. I'm not looking at it right now, but I believe the load circuit is wired together in series. I don't know about the relay circuit.
I'll take a pic and post it later.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep guys, you have to remember this is an 86, and has the glow plug controller in the drivers side head, and the relay is on the passenger fender area. This is the little barrel shaped one, not the solid state controller with the "zig zag strip" behind the intake........

The 6.9 in the 87 has the "7.3 style" solid state controller on the back of the engine behind the intake and N/A CDR Valve.......

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHOA!
OK. Today is the first time I've had a chance to take a look-see. After a few tries, I got her started. Pushed in on the schrader valve on the side of the fuel filter head, and there was air in the lines. Soon fuel started coming out in a stream. Good, yes? I idled her up to 2500 RPM and held it there for a few minutes, and then let off the throttle.
What it did then was interesting.
It died, but just before it did, there was like a "blip" of power--a jump in RPMs, and then it quit. I noticed that it did that the other day as well when it died on the road.
Anyway, I checked the schrader valve again, and got a hiss of air, so it's evidently sucking air from somewhere.
But the most alarming thing, was that diesel was pouring out of my tank. I noticed that it was dripping the other day after I filled it up, and I just assumed that the tank either had a rust hole or a bad bung gasket or a leaky filler neck. But, it has evidently been dripping since Wednesday, and when I cranked it up today, I'm clearly getting pressure in the tank. When I cracked the fuel cap, diesel gushed out. What would be causing my tank to pressurize, and are these things related?
What have I gotten myself into, here??
:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online