newbe from NH.

nhwrench01

Reaction score
about me, born raised in nh, turning a wrench all my life, (52 years old now) ASE cert. master heavy truck , master school bus, car and truck repair...love old cars , bikes, guns,( live free or die thing) . Built many jeeps , fast cars, low riding trucks , 4x4 trucks. Harleys, but just ( 2 years ago) got my 1st diesel.. have done lots of heavy diesel truck repairs ,T.T., school bus, vans, dump truck. but never owned one. till now. could not swing the $$$ for a newer one, did not want a built up one,( my thinking was, if it was built up ,was it done right? ) so,,, found a 1993 7.3 idi f250 xlt in very poor shape for 1k.
got it running, did a f350 swap ( front axle) found a 84 bed. installed a new rear tank,( old one was missing) fixed the a/c. trans service . new radiator. fisher plow install, tires rims brakes, glow plugs , controller, injector caps,electric fuel pump. bla bla… now running filtered ATF on rear tank and ONLY clean diesel in front tank...
did turn the IP up 1.5 turns and have a free flowing exhaust on it. but the egts can and have seen 1300 ( for 10 13 sec,)
I just pulled the trigger on a turbo set up from . THEWESPAUL on here and cant wait ….thinking ill only boost up to 5 psi. as it has 175k and is stock.. anyway,,, thanks for the read and the add.
nhwrench01

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey welcome to the forum Dave! On these idi's you want to keep egts below 1250* they dont have as much heat tolerance as a direct injection engine since combustion is occuring in the cylinder head. You can retorque the head bolts to 110 ft lbs for a bit more insurance running boost, but 10 psi on a stock engine is plenty reliable on a 7.3.

nhwrench01

Reaction score
Hey welcome to the forum Dave! On these idi's you want to keep egts below 1250* they dont have as much heat tolerance as a direct injection engine since combustion is occuring in the cylinder head. You can retorque the head bolts to 110 ft lbs for a bit more insurance running boost, but 10 psi on a stock engine is plenty reliable on a 7.3.
thanks, when I do my turbo install. I will retorque the heads. I (like everyone) am just looking for a little more power, little more towing up hill umph , but do no want to take away from the reliability , as this is my D.D and love it..

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from one Dave to another! Thewespaul is very correct on the 10 pounds of turbo boost keeping the 7.3 reliable.