New truck???

pullcat

Registered Cruiser
Reaction score
Hey guys

My Father in-law was looking to buy a 7.3 but what he found was a 2003 6.0 with 105,000 miles on it. I'm not personaly familiar with this engine but have heard of some strange stuff. Should he be scared to buy this truck?

Thanks

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently asked a Ford mechanic which ones were the really bad 6.0 PSD his response was any one wearing 6.0 badges. He could get a really good deal on any Ford and he drives a 2000 7.3 PSD F350.

I hear pretty bad stuff about the 6.0s, although they do make pretty good power, just not for long.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've been told by some factory techs, the best used trucks to get are 2003 - the final 7.3s offered.

The first year 6.0 COULD be tabu - seems you either got a good one, or a bad one, the later years are much more trouble free. I know several folks with later year 6.0 that are just fine -- however, from what I've been told - they should be left in stock trim with minor intake / exhaust upgrades only - they are not as overbuilt as the 7.3 and don't live as long with lots of power upgrades.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on build date, the early 03 6.0's were troublesome but I would recommend running an OASIS report on ANY newer used vehicle just to be on the safe side, this one being an 03 with over 100K on the clock probably isnt one to be scared of.

pullcat

Registered Cruiser
Reaction score
That's what my father in-law was thinking, with over 100,000 miles and running very strong it might be worth the risk.

pullcat

Registered Cruiser
Reaction score
I almost forgot it has the auto tranny and he will be towing a 8,000lb 5th wheel. Will that tranny handle towing a trailer? Also I've been told the truck is bone stock.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot it has the auto tranny and he will be towing a 8,000lb 5th wheel. Will that tranny handle towing a trailer? Also I've been told the truck is bone stock.
The 5R110 is a beautiful tranny to tow with. Tow/Haul mode works.