New truck need help 1994 7.3 IDI Factory Turbo

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine is turboed it also went thru that. Probably boogered up the hot side wheel. I bought a turbo a few years back with a gp tip that had passed thru it. Ugly lookin stuff when that happens.
Could have been prevented if the PO spent another $2 on motorcraft glowplugs.
Sometimes it's the small stuff that can save an engine

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your engine is turboed it also went thru that. Probably boogered up the hot side wheel. I bought a turbo a few years back with a gp tip that had passed thru it. Ugly lookin stuff when that happens.
Could have been prevented if the PO spent another $2 on motorcraft glowplugs.
Sometimes it's the small stuff that can save an engine
Didn’t think of that....

Codeman021

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if the hot side wheel did get damaged without taking the turbo off?

Codeman021

Reaction score
Alright im back with more questions.

I noticed that my engine has Dealers Diesel stickers all over it, does that mean it was rebuilt at some point?

Tomorrow im changing out the flexplate with the one from Thewespaul. Any tips and tricks for that job?

Thank you everyone.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna ask as I noticed the 7.3 sticker on the valve cover. Dealers diesel is an engine remanufacturer. I have one of their engines. It's been fabulous. So i would say you lucked out there assuming it wasn't abused.

I'm wondering if your EGT and smoke issue is injectors or did the previous owner crank up the fuel screw on the pump? Lots of guys try to hot rod these trucks then get frustrated when there 30 year old truck won't perform like a new truck.

This is definitely the place to get help.

When you pull the flex plate. make sure the flex plate you remove matches the one that you got. The factory turbo engines did have special balancing and thus special flex plates. But if you're engine isn't original there is a chance you could have a non turbo balanced engine in it. Just something to watch so you don't have issues later. Guys report vibrations when they get a hold of the wrong flywheel.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep verify your block is an IDIT block before the job, otherwise I have a non turbo flexplate to send you. Make sure and use a thread sealant on the flexplate bolts as they will leak oil if you do not. Are you changing rear main seal out?

Codeman021

Reaction score
I didn’t plan on changing it out. Is it easy enough job to swap out rear main as well ?

How do I verify that it is in fact a turbo block ?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t plan on changing it out. Is it easy enough job to swap out rear main as well ?

How do I verify that it is in fact a turbo block ?
If it's a factory block the SN will start with 7.3TU2U

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But sometimes the blocks will have it scratched off for so.e reason..... Or its just covered in about 18.7 pounds of crap and you gotta get a longer flat head in there to scrape it away.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's another thing to think about. Since it seems like there's a reman engine in there, what if the block is from a factory turbo engine, but all of the internals have been changed. If that happened, then the "T" in the serial number means nothing to the balancing of the engine. I'd just make sure that the new flexplate matches the one that's on there now.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I can’t imagine them changing the entire rotating assembly for a reman but it is possible, I think you’ll be alright though