New truck need help 1994 7.3 IDI Factory Turbo

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That flexplate is specific to the balancing of the factory turbo engines so they are tough to get ahold of, luckily I have one for sale right now;Sweet

Codeman021

Reaction score
They are? I did not know this, I went to autozone and bought an ATP one that was listed on rock auto.. PM on the flexplate.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure your mystery wire hanging out by the air box used to go to an oil pressure sending unit that was mounted next to the oil feed pipe on the turbo. Do you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge installed now?

Many people don't like the gauge b/c it's just a fancy switch that really only "turns on" the gauge needle to the middle of the gauge at 7-9 psi. There is a mod to make the gauge read real oil pressure but it's not for the faint of heart. I'm sure it's posted on here somewhere. Most just put a mechanical pressure gauge in and be done with it.

Codeman021

Reaction score
Yes I do have a new gauge. The factory oil pressure gauge had been disconnected before I bought the truck. It would be nice to have them both work something about the gauge reading zero bugs me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I hate "dead" gauges too. That's why I keep the factory ones along with my mechanical ones. Even if they're way off, at least the factory ones are moving.

Codeman021

Reaction score
The issues keep coming. Is this glow plug tip broken or burnt?
You must be registered for see images attach

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issues keep coming. Is this glow plug tip broken or burnt?

Almost looks like it broke off awhile ago?

Codeman021

Reaction score
Some said Autolite, that one dose not have a manufactures name. I'm not sure when it would have broken off I just acquired the the truck and noticed the glow plug relay was ticking and decided to change the plugs out.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a broken tip, which is very common on the cheaper glowplugs. Only replace with beru or motorcraft zd9 plugs.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need to get the broken piece out? Will it ruin the engine if I run it ?
My guess by the way it looks it looks like it broke off before you got to it. I would normally use a scope to look down into them after pulling glow plugs to check things out.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need to get the broken piece out? Will it ruin the engine if I run it ?

I have seen one of are mechanics leave a broke tip of a glow plug in cause the company that owned it didn't want to take the heads off. It ran a great deal of time before an injector stuck open on it and burned up the motor.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that tip passed through the exhaust long ago, just rattling against a piston or valve on its way out is all it will do, as long as it runs well now there’s no major damage

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online