New truck need help 1994 7.3 IDI Factory Turbo

Codeman021

Reaction score
Hello everyone so here it goes.
A few weeks ago I purchased a 1994 7.3 IDI factory turbo. Guy said the truck runs good, which it did during the test drive. Fluids looked good.

On the way home towing an SUV the truck lacked power and was blowing white smoke out of the tail pipe , EGTS would peak and the truck would want to overheat this only happened going up an incline . it does not smoke at idle or during regular around town driving.

What would cause this?

Accelerator is also really hard to push down.

There were also two loose wires I have attached photos I have no clue where these go.

You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how many miles on the truck? it might need to be timed or just a tired fuel system.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First picture is a wire for your fuel filter light, I have it omitted no issue. Second might be something for the trans I'm not sure, someone else should chime in on that.
When you're empty does the truck smoke at all? Any black smoke/unburnt fuel? If so it sounds like you have over fueling. What egts are you seeing? Any bubbles in coolant?

Codeman021

Reaction score
Truck has a little over 250,000 when unloaded no smoke at all it doesn't smoke when fully loaded on flat ground . I have not seen any bubbles in the coolant or loss since I replace the radiator. EGT were hovering around 1300 while climbing a hill with a load, regular driving they are around 300.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1,300 is a little hot.... if the pump and injectors have never been changed with those miles then its time.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that wire located below your fuel filter goes to the "water in fuel light" sensor which it looks like it does.Then the reason it fell off is likely because the fitting got lose over time.Take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze it just a touch,then slide it up on the sensor.Keep squeezing the electrical connector until its closed up enough,to be a very nice tight fit,so it's kinda hard to press up onto the sensor and it wont fall off anymore.
Lastly,test your light (or first,since it off right now) turn you key forward to run and ground that wire.Your "water in fuel" light should turn on.
Having a 'water in fuel' light,is vital.If you get water in your IP or injectors,it will cause all your symptoms and require replacement.

I will never allow my EGT's to come anywhere near 1300.
(1100 is my max and I either back out or manually downshift.Probe located in up pipe.)

For your firm accelerator pedal.Inspect your cable going to the IP.

Last edited:

Codeman021

Reaction score
I knew it was getting hot, when it hit 1200-1300 range I backed off, hopefully I didn't damage anything.

I honestly know nothing about this trucks history, so im planning on changing out the injectors.

Is there a way to test the IP to see if it needs replaced?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you aren't having hard start issues when warm you're pump is probably fine. I wonder if an injector or two was hanging open causing the overfueling

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can check the timing. If you can't get consistent numbers then I think that means that pump is bad also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.Miles posted on this engine may indicate the need for an injection pump and injectors. Please DO NOT purchase from the cheapest ebay seller. This forum knows where the BEST BAG FOR YOUR BUCK is.Just ask before you purchase anything. Many have "tried" the cheaper stuff only to end up spending twice the money and time to make it right with quality parts. At this point with the miles on this engine I suspect it needs a pump and injectors. This forum has proven these parts generally wear out around 125,000 to to 150,000 miles.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the way home towing an SUV the truck lacked power and was blowing white smoke out of the tail pipe , EGTS would peak and the truck would want to overheat this only happened going up an incline . it does not smoke at idle or during regular around town driving.
White smoke indicates late timing (retarded) (half burnt fuel) or water in the fuel (Lack of Power) if an injector was stuck open you should get Black smoke exhaust.

Hi EGT's, going up an incline, the engine was lugging, not hi enough RPM.

How hi did your coolant temp go? It has to go up to ~235*F + for the fan to kick into Hi speed, any temp below that is not overheating, specially going up inclines, in Washington they can be pretty steep.

As far as the go peddle being hard to push, it could be the throttle cable itself, or the return springs on the IP, your lack of power could also be that the IP throttle was not fully opening, caused by the above. Have someone push the go peddle down and see if you can move the IP throttle open further.

Codeman021

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the advice!! This is my first diesel so im going in blind with it.

So for maintenance im going to replace the injectors and Fuel filter.....any suggestions on brands or where to purchase them?

The truck actually overheated going up an incline I contributed this to the hole I found in the radiator and lack of coolant. When I filled the radiator back up with water the temp would surge from normal N to the L in normal only have the factory gauge at this point. It did not overheat again during the trip. When I got it home I replaced the radiator.

The spring on the IP is hanging up on a bracket that is on the cold high idle solenoid, I dont see it on the picture above .

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't trust the factory gauge, in most cases it's reading means nothing

As for injectors only buy from Russ (typ4) R&D idi or Conestoga diesel. Fuel filter go with personal preference really

Codeman021

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. My list of projects to help these issues are.

1- replace injectors with ones from IDI Performance.
2- Replace throttle cable and spring.
3- Replace fuel filter - any preference on what brand or type?
4 - I need to replace the flexplate, it grinds and is missing teeth.

Does any one know what this goes to? its located right behind the air filter.

wire-2-jpg.111378