New truck home safe...engine DOA

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I just got back from getting my new truck off ebay...I am hoping this old idi will last me many years once I get her back running.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4547438929

It ran untill I put 2 gallons of coolant in the radiator and then it hydrolocked when I went to start. It also leaks about a quart of oil imediately after parking. Oil in coolant and I think coolant in oil. Head gaskets are suspect but could it be anything else?

I am going to pull the engine but how much of the rear mounted turbo (banks) do I have to remove? I am thinking just down pipe but things are tight.

I ended up dragging it home with a tow bar for 900 miles. :eek: Got a little burly in a few corners but made it home safe. :hail

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Ummm... take a good look, but I would doubt that it's a head gasket, I would suspect cavatation more my self. Who knows though, with the turbo on it, it could just be head gaskets, at least that is easily fixable.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Could the Big C cause it to leak a quart of oil on the ground when stopped? It was basically pouring down in streams from all over...it was ugly. The seller did say "what coolant additive?".

budtoh3zo said:
The rest of the truck looks good though.
It has some cancer and will need paint but interior is nice. ;Sweet

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Did u see were the oil came from, May sound stupid but check the oil filter for tightness. But really the only places the oil and colant come close is in the Oil cooler so look there to. Just looking for the easiest first. If that all turns up neg then it could be the HG's

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
The oil drips down from everywhere! It gets flung around off pulleys and drips from several locations on crossmember. I would say the major source it coming from the drivers side just above the power steering pump. Can the oil cooler be removed easily for inspection?

Either way...oil in water/water in oil and hydrolocked are bigger issues! I won't be able to pull the motor for a couple weeks so it would be nice to do as much inspection as possible with engine mounted.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like quite an adventure, which unfortunately may not be over yet. Definitely sounds like you need to at least ascertain what cylinder is hydrolocked before you pull the heads, so you know where to look.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Good idea. I will pull plugs and injectors this weekend. Should I try and pull heads while in truck? Only thing keeping me from pulling the motor is all the turbo stuff. I am sure every bolt is nice and rusty tight. :shoot:

scrappy

Reaction score
the heads could also be cracked, that is what happened to my brother's 93 IDI TD. the head gaskets were good(just replaced) it set for a couple of weeks and he decided to change the oil and drained SEVEN GALLONS of water/oil from the pan! Could a motor hydro lock from below the pistons I/E block is totally full of water? that could explain the oil coming from all over.

Last edited:

scrappy

Reaction score
the engine was rebuilt as a shortblock just prior to finding the water in the oil, the heads were supposedly good(yea right)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
fiverpuller said:
Good idea. I will pull plugs and injectors this weekend. Should I try and pull heads while in truck? Only thing keeping me from pulling the motor is all the turbo stuff. I am sure every bolt is nice and rusty tight. :shoot:

I have done it both ways - it's about as broad as it is long. I perfer to have the engine on a stand when I do the heads - two reasons... One it allows me to access other things on the block that I might as well take care of while I wading around in the pool, and those heads are squeezed in there so it's just easier to work with them when the engine is out.

First time I did heads I did them in the truck - boy that was an adventure because the engine was shoe horned in there - the a/c box was right in the way, then the fire wall was in the way of the head bolts and push rods. Now that was on a 91 body style - don't know about your body style. But from what I have seen there isn't that much more room - at least not enough to make me a believer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk