New toy at work.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Friday, picked up a Zacklift Z303 Fifthwheeler, up by Kansas City. Towed a wrecked truck up there. The boss drove one of our tractors. Mounted the Z303 on the tractor, and he took the wreck on, to St Louis.
Spent a couple hours this afternoon changing a few things, while the boss installed new taillight bars, and mudflaps. Next is moving the rear crossmember, sliding the unit forward about 6", and fabricating some fenders.

Attachments

• 08-17-08_1922.jpg
    08-17-08_1922.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 08-17-08_1921.jpg
    08-17-08_1921.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 08-17-08_1923.jpg
    08-17-08_1923.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 30

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll like it alot for transfer work. I used one for repo'ing and it was very handy. Make sure you have a good sum of weight on the front axle though.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zacklifts are made in Cle Elum Washington, I hear great things about them, should be all Parker hose and fittings for the hydraulics.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The first run was the boss, pulling a 9400 to St Lou.
This evening, I picked up a NPR box truck. Worked great. Bizarre, getting used to a little lift, and a whole lotta tilt.
Hopefully, in the morning, I can try a FLD120, to a shop across town.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
OOPS!

I tell myself over and over, go with your gut instinct. Then I let people talk me into stupid stuff.

Got all ready to pull out the FLD120, this morning, so I could rear hook it.

Stop. Backup.

Yesterday, removed the rear crossmember, so we could move the Z303 forward on the Pete's frame, for better weight distribution. Towed the NPR last night, with no trouble.

O.K., back to this morning.

I figured the FLD would be a bit much, without the rear crossmember. Planning to rear hitch, I aired it up. Just at the point of getting a little wrecker, to drag it out, my boss tells me to grab the front end, so I can try out the bus bars, and see what it scales.

I get back to the shop, and the boss notices that his brand new stainless taillight boxes aren't hanging level anymore. After some careful measurements, I determined that the bottom of the frame kicked out 3/8" on the left rail, and 3/4" on the right rail.

Now I'm mad. If I'd done it my way, there would have been no trouble. AND somehow, what happend is my fault, even though I just did what I was told.

After fabbing a frame spacer, and spending a couple hours with a ratchet boomer, and chains, I'm back to square 1. Among other things, I got both ends of my new offset/dropout crossmember done, did the test fit, and bolted in the left section. Hopfully, tomorrow I can finish that, so the rig is, at least, useable.

On the upside, the bus bars, and short forks are low enough to get under the absurd Freightshaker wrap-under bumper cover, the axle on low-pro tires, aaaannd around the Drip-troit front sum oilpan.