new to OILBURNERS

swuchase1

Reaction score
NEW ON THE BLOCK. Have owned my 1988 7.3 XLT 4x4 with ATS Turbo and Gear Vendors under over 6 years now. Just finsihed (Thats what we all say FINISHED) rebuilding brakes, steering systems, new front springs with 1 add a leaf utility bed and all the gear to chase an off road race truck. wife calls truck "MY GIRLFRIEND". JUST SAYIN HI always lookin for good tips for the old work horse (chase 1)
Out for now

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

You might look in the events sections as Towkitten and the gang are having a get-together later on this month and I do believe they are doing some dead meat on the grill if I'm not mistaken...

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too - welcome. Tons of great info and helpful people here.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to a great forum. Plenty of help for any questions or issues. Some of us don't sleep much so we are always online... Please do come to the frsco get to gether. Its the weekend of the 28th. Its always fun... I will be making my forth "visit" to this event...

swuchase1

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the warm welcome i will put some pics of the race truck also and some more of chase 1. schduled new pump and injectors for next week ACTION TURBO BEST IN TOWN San Diego, Ca.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Welcome, neighbor! These pages are full of helpful folks with lots of experience working on these trucks in the dark, rain, snow and mud. Oh, and dry lit areas sometimes, too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Swuchase1... Are you doing the pump removel and installation... If so don't remove the aluminum gear cover that the pump bolts to from the block. You will need a specially bent 9/16 wrench to reach the nuts that hold the pump to the cover. Please read up on how to remove the pump and how to bleed the air from the system. Cranking the starter for longer than 20 to 30 seconds at a time will burn it down. Let it reast and cool for 2 minutes between cranking sesions. Its much easier to ask questions first then it is to repair a problem. We have had several pumps come off the motors with the gear cover... Thats a hard thing to fix. How old is the return line system... While the pump and hard lines are off the motor is a good time to replace the return line kit. Do you have anyone in your area that can time the motor when your done. If not let me know. I have several timing meters and think I'm the only person in so ca that will do this work. At least if I do it you can watch and get whatever timing you want... Usually we on this site feel 9.7 is about as far advanced as you need to have it. Ford feels anything between 6.5 to 8.5 degrees is close enough....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB. You'll become addicted to this place. Lots of good people. If at all possible, come to a OB "function"/gathering. The Rally is the Biggest of the year, but will be a drive for you. Gary (icanfixall) came last year (you're an animal Gary) all the way from sunny California. We'd love to meet you and see your IDI.;Sweet

Heath

swuchase1

Reaction score
"icanfixall" I am having it done at action turbo he is gonig to test return lines also it has aTs turbo and tom has always worked on it, But the unit was installed in murry Utah. Thanks