New to me 86 6.9l - What now?

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brought it to a local mechanic today just to get another opinion and a once over. They felt like it was a great truck and seems very solid.

Guess it's time to start moving on to the fun stuff! Like adding cab roof running lights :rock:

stick_witch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per the radiator fluid... this might be a stupid question.

Should I top off the radiator and top off the reservoir to the hot fill line? I only topped off the actual radiator, the reservoir has a small amount in it right now like 1 inch maybe.
Once the radiator is full, just add coolant into the radiator overflow reservoir, and make sure the radiator relief hose is connected at the radiator cap and is running into the reservoir all the way. This hose draws in coolant into the rad as needed, and captures excess coolant as a result of coolant expansion when it gets hot.

Theres also a lot of places for air to hide in these motors, so as coolant circulates around you’re levels will fluctuate. These trucks hold about 8ish gallons of coolant!

So just make sure you keep your reservoir about 2/3rds full, but not completely full. Like I said, coolant level will fluctuate for a number of reasons and the radiator will expand and pressurize when the coolant gets up to temp and bleed off coolant into the reservoir, so make sure theres space in the reservoir for this hot/cold fluctuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it's definitely true. Wes says that he runs nothing but Auto Meter gauges. I think I'm going to copy him and do the same with my build project except for maybe the VDO pyrometer that's in there. VDO is another good brand of gauges as far as I know.
Overall, I think that you probably have a good truck. You may have to play catch up on some of the maintenance like most of us do when we buy a different truck, but it's to be expected.

I'm not going to lie, that website is absolutely daunting hah. I went on there and it doesn't seem very user friendly. I wonder what he's using in his stack. Assuming its on the window panel not a replacement for the dash.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have auto meter since Wes recommended. On the pillar top to bottom is vacuum, engine temp, egt. Then I drilled a hole for an oil pressure gauge next to the dash since I don't have ac. The gauges come with everything you need to hook up and include two light covers, more stickers than necessary, and excellent instructions.

I wanted to go Isspro, but I had had many people say auto meter and I am not let down.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have auto meter since Wes recommended. On the pillar top to bottom is vacuum, engine temp, egt. Then I drilled a hole for an oil pressure gauge next to the dash since I don't have ac. The gauges come with everything you need to hook up and include two light covers, more stickers than necessary, and excellent instructions.

I wanted to go Isspro, but I had had many people say auto meter and I am not let down.

Thanks for the tip. Why is the lack of A/C relevant for the oil pressure? Mine, like many others, has broken A/C as well.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On the Bullnose (80-86) trucks they had 2 different dashes. If it was a factory Non-A/C truck, there are no dash vents next to. The instrument cluster or on the passenger side above the glove box. There are solid panels there. The Factory A/C trucks have vents in the dash.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the Bullnose (80-86) trucks they had 2 different dashes. If it was a factory Non-A/C truck, there are no dash vents next to. The instrument cluster or on the passenger side above the glove box. There are solid panels there. The Factory A/C trucks have vents in the dash.
Yeah. What he said.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hobbywelder

Reaction score
I can definitely vouch for Autometer gauges. I have ultralites air-core. Work fantastic.

Just a thought, once my truck is warmed up, coming off the highway,
Stopped at idle I see about 1-2psi oil pressure difference with and without the AC on. That with my ‘93obs gasser so diesel may not see that too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online