New to 7.3 idi turbo. Using oil and starting problems

Kleigh774

Reaction score
Just bought this truck .it's a 94 f350 193,000 miles 7.3 idi turbo (factory) . Has been switched to Manuel glow plugs .When I got it I noticed the smoke from the rear pipe but it is some times blue,white, and sometimes it bogs down and is black . There was some smoke under the hood but it was coming from the tore gromet at cdr valve. Valve looks new and so does ip. Also has new glow plugs . Changed the grommet and that cleared up smoke under the hood . But I'm losing water and oil and can't find it .Except oil puddle on back of intake near turbo . Installed gauge also so I could see boost .(Max boost I have seen is about 6 pounds but does have small exhaust leak up front also)
Ok so first start of the day is hard . Chugs and sometimes dies and have to start again. Sometimes if I barely tap the throttle it won't die, chugs for about 20 to 30 seconds then flips to a loud idle for 2 to 3 minutes then sounds "normal". I say normal cause I don't know if mine is normal. Smokes pretty bad during this time . White and blue smoke.
Sometimes at idle it smokes .Smokes under acceleration . Get black smoke going down the road more the white or blue. White/blue at idle .Used 3 quarts of oil and gallon and a half of water so far and I have had it about 2 weeks . I don't think I have drove 300 miles . Where to start?
I made a video of blow by? From dipstick tube, what comes out of hose from cdr and rear smoke as I throttle it .I forgot to video oil cap off but it looks like dipstick just more of a smoke bursts then steady .
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Any help would be awesome. i have been reading post after post to get this far so any help would be appreciated .

Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
First off, welcome to Oilburners. You've come the right site for IDIs. Make sure to check out the tech section and the Hall of Shame.

Oof, that's a lot of blow-by. Could be that the piston rings are stuck in the ring lands of the pistons, or it could be that they are just worn out. That's what is causing the oil usage. You could try using some SeaFoam or other magic potion. That might free the rings. If it doesn't help/fix the problem, it might be time for a tear down. At only 193K miles, you wouldn't think so, but it may have had a hard life.

The coolant use is also of concern. If it's burning it, (white smoke) it could be a blown head gasket, or cavitation. There are threads on this forum for checking both.

The starting is kind of normal. Before you start it, you are supposed to hit the fuel pedal. It sets the high idle solenoid. That is why you get the loud idle if you tap the pedal. After about 2 - 3 minutes the high idle and the cold advance solenoid kick off.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The chugging when you first start it either sounds like a little bit of air intrusion or else some fuel drain back as in lift pump isn't holding fuel pressure. To me, it sounds like the turbo may have some issues. From the oil puddle underneath the turbo, I'm guessing that the turbo may be leaking oil from bad seals. bad seals could also let it burn oil, both of which could add up to explain the oil usage and the blue smoke. The water loss could be just an external leak. On the bad side, the smoke, oil loss, and blowby could also be from cylinder wear. The Factory Turbo trucks didn't have a pyrometer to monitor the EGTs or an intercooler to lower the EGTs. A lot of people actually would wear out their engines from improper use in fairly short order. I mean 150,000 to 200,000 miles. It wasn't always purposeful abuse either, just a lack of knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online