new temp guage

bigrigdom

Reaction score
okay so i got a new mechanical temp gauge from carquest and i would like to install it right now but i dont have a clue as to where the stock sending unit is or where this one is supposed to hook into(if its diff. than the stock one). some help here would be really appreciated. thanks.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a couple of options. There is a port under the AC compresser, one on the waterpump, and one on the driverside head. Any of these will work, you will see about a 5 degree difference if it is put in the waterpump housing.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I used the water pump form mine it runs about 198 to 202? so how is the 5 degrees work?:confused:

Attachments

• various 043.jpg
    various 043.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 8

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah mine is in the waterpump. The highest I've ever seen my water temp was 200*, that was going up a 6% couple mile grade pulling a boat with about 1050* EGT's, went down to 185 when I downshifted into 3rd.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well, while standing in front of the truck look just to the right side of the injection pump. There you will see a sender on the block with one wire on it. Thats the stock dash gage. Now look at the front of the drivers side head. There is a large sender. Thats the "check engine " switch. When the motor is 242 degrees it grounds the temp switch and the gage on the dash will peg out. Now the water pump has a plug in the top of it. This is an internal passage where both heads combine flows before the thermostat sees the coolant. Every head has about 4 plugs near the exhaust ports. Some members use those but. They will show about a 5 to 7 degree higher temp on the gage. Also the coolant flow thru the heads is from the back of the motor to the front so the rear most plugs will be cooler. Hope this helps you find a good location for what you need.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, while standing in front of the truck look just to the right side of the injection pump. There you will see a sender on the block with one wire on it. Thats the stock dash gage. Now look at the front of the drivers side head. There is a large sender. Thats the "check engine " switch. When the motor is 242 degrees it grounds the temp switch and the gage on the dash will peg out. Now the water pump has a plug in the top of it. This is an internal passage where both heads combine flows before the thermostat sees the coolant. Every head has about 4 plugs near the exhaust ports. Some members use those but. They will show about a 5 to 7 degree higher temp on the gage. Also the coolant flow thru the heads is from the back of the motor to the front so the rear most plugs will be cooler. Hope this helps you find a good location for what you need.

So in your opinion which place is best to use?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
From that info I'd say the spot we use. The top of the water pump. See if I got this right both heads send the water to the pump and mix at the top of the pump so I would think that would tell you the most about the temp of the engine? I still have my stock hooked up too, so I get the best of both worlds?:rotflmao

bigrigdom

Reaction score
thanks a million guys, I put it in the plug on top of the pump and seems to work pretty well. not running as hot as i thought it was. now i just need to hook up to a load and find a hill to test on. thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online