New single mass now ticking?

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my new southbend clutch in. I ended up getting a shop to do it. When it is at idle I hear a tick that is the same as idle speed with the truck in neutral and my foot off the clutch pedal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't, but thanks for responding. I'm glad to hear that all is good. No noise when I have my foot on the pedal.

On a side note. My gear pattern on my shift knob is upside down, and I can't get my truck in 4 low.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those are separate problems.

If it goes away with your foot on the clutch, something is up with the throwout bearing. May just need worn in.

The transfer case shifter is another animal. Sounds like it's just binding. Are you pushing down when you pull back?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Someone here mentioned grinding the ear off so it'll actually slide back without having to push down. May spray it with a good rust penetrate to see if that helps.

I can't remember the members name.

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll crawl under there tomorrow and take a look...thank you.

As for the shift pattern upside down?....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Like it's just spun around?

The whole black metal part of the shifter comes off. It sits on a rubber thing. I'm not actually sure how to pull it off. Maybe heat it with a hair dryer.

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy said that it would not go back on the right way for some reason. It sounds like the whole shift lever is on 180 degrees from before.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shifter is keyed and that key fits in a groove in the shift arm on the top of the ZF5. You can goof it up and put the shifter on the wrong side of that shift arm if you aren't paying attention.

The ticking certainly sounds like the TOB or something out of whack with the fork, pressure plate fingers or something. Just torquing down the pressure plate all willy-nilly could put uneven pressure on the pressure plate springs..... making the fingers that contact the TOB less than level. That should have been checked by the shop that installed the clutch kit.

Heath

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the inspection cover itself. Some folks recently have reported the cover hitting the flywheel after an SMF job.

T-case shifter - the up-down is known to seize up if it's not used. You may have to pull the mechanism and lube the bejeezus out of it to free it up. Some fellas drill and thread in a zerk fitting for it. Or, as said, cut off the pin that rides on the detent plate thingy, and you don't have to "push down"; that's how the older shifters worked anyway.

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop didn't bother to tighten up the bolt that holds the 4x4 shift lever to the linkage. Problem one. Problem two, what madpougue said the thingy needs lube or cut off the pin. This weekend I try to pull it off and massage it.

As for the ticking I didn't get a chance to pull the cover, so that will have to wait, but good call on looking at the plat itself...will do.