New rings ????

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will new rings eventually seat? I've read a few threads that you should work the engine hard and get it hot when you install new rings like pulling a heavy load. I've driven her about 100 miles give or take just around town dosen't get much heavy use. Should I go ahead and load her up and seat the rings or is it too late. How long or how far should I break it in. Is there any way of telling if and when they are seated:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Load it up with around 1000 lbs of sand or dirt or most anything in the bed. Drive it hard enough to use the engine. Figure 1000 miles minum for breakin. What your trying to do is burn off the oil thats between the rings and the cylinders so it wears in and not coats the ring and cylinder with a varnish. Once the coating is well established its nearly impossible to wear off. Usually it needs to be machined off with a glaze breaker or honing stone cylinder hone... You have not made it bad yet. Not even close. Got any mountains or long hills... Pull them and watch the coolant temps. These is a lot of surface area your trying to break in between the rings and cylinders.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Also, you want to vary the engine speed. Don't hold one speed for long periods, maybe go up and down 5-10mph. Just don't do it so much that you start ******* off other drivers. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk