New problem!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, after getting the filter problem resolved etc. I noticed that my "Engine" light was on. Starting looking and my temperature gauge (in dash factory) that is unhooked and usually reads nothing, is PEGGED! The sensor for this gauge, is removed - I think! I removed the sensor in the timing cover and unhooked the wire and put my sensor for my VDO gauges in there. I believe I was told this was the correct place, anyway, it has worked fine until now (over a year). I still have a sensor located in the front of the cylinder head that I believe was said to be the sensor for the cold idle advance - am I correct in the purpose of these two sensors? Anyway, when I disconnect the sensor in the head, the gauge goes back to "no reading" and the engine light goes off, which makes me beleive this is the gauge sensor. Anyway, the gauge worked fine until I unhooked the timing cover sensor, then it just went to the cold side and has stayed there for a year or more. Now all of the sudden there is a change.

Someone help me out here:

Is the sensor in what I am calling "in the timing cover" the one for the gauge?

Is the sensor in the front of the d-side cylinder head for the cold advance?

Will Jill and Tom get married or will Sally bust up that relationship because of the previous relationship with Jill????

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The sensor on the timing cover is the magnetic pickup for the tach. Should be 2 wires attached to a connector originally.

The sensor that is directly behind the goosneck for the radiator line is where the CIA sensor is. That should be a double spade connector on that one.

The sensor on the drivers side head is for the temp. Single wire.

Jill and Tom won't get married because the latest paparazzi has discovered that Jill and Sally have been having a secrect romance.:eek: LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The sensor I was referring to on the timing cover, is down below the IP gear cover, on the driver side. I know the tach sensor, but this one was a single wire, screw type post that when I unhooked it, sent the temp gauge to cold. I assumed it was the gauge temp switch/sensor. I will get a pic.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, maybe this picture will help. Keep in mind, the timing cover sensor has been unhooked for a year or more and the gauge stayed on the cold side. The cold advance has worked all along as well. I also know the truck is not hot, I have a digital VDO gauge and it does it all the time, even though my truck sat for two days without starting, it shows hot and engine light is on, digital VDO says coolant temp is 74...

Attachments

• Coolant Sensor Info.jpg
    Coolant Sensor Info.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 55

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That small sender by the injection pump tower is the dash gage sender. The larger one you have pionted out is the "check engine" lite and it comes on at 242 degrees plus it will pegg the dash gage. The sender behind the return coolant to the top of the rad is the cold idle advance and will keep the idle up till it sees 120 degrees. Then it drops out. Change out the sender in the head and things will be as before. Sometimes they fail closed and show what you have described.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Change out the sender in the head and things will be as before. Sometimes they fail closed and show what you have described.

I am guessing this is a dealer item...:puke:

Checked with the parts stores around, they seem to show a temp sending unit with a gauge and one with a light that is about it, although AZ showed a coolant temperature sensor that is a two pin - for some reason, I don't think a non-computer controlled engine has one of those!!! :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ford part number is F3TZ-10884-A and the number on the part isF3TF-108843-AA.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Holy snikees! Ford sure is proud of that POS!!!

[SIZE=-2]
You must be registered for see images
[/SIZE] F3TZ-10884-A SENSOR ASSEMBLY - WATER T$68.93 $38.00
You must be registered for see images
Subtotal: $38.00 Ground Shipping - $9.95

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Not sure, DS, but it sure looks like it, unfortunately, it also looks just like the one for the gauge!

I found the Standard Motor Products number for it - they had a direct interchange from the Ford number, it is a TS232. Will have one here tomorrow!!!

Thanks icanfixall

These might be good numbers to add to the part number list as well.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The TS232 around here is $35.00 but Advance crossed the number for me and ordered it for $28. Will be here in the morning.

Thanks icanfixall for the Ford part number. I will post the Advance Part number when after I pick it up.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score

We shall see, I ordered it from Advance. When I went to the store locator from your link, it was Advance. I am guessing that you nailed it, looks just like it. At any rate, I put the sender for the gauge in, something I have been wanting to do, but I had to extend the wire as I installed it in the top of the water pump, so now the in dash gauge is working as well as the VDO digital (which I stole the port for the in dash gauge). Now get this one in and I think all will be well.

Still not sure why this one failed. My truck has seen 220 once, and I got nervous and cooled it off. Generally, I run less than 200! I can't stant to have something not working, so getting the in dash gauge working makes me feel better, even if it is worthless! LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Here are the part numbers for this sensor - all verified. Would someone please add them to the parts number list?

Thanks,
Scott

Ford Part Number - F3TZ-10884-A
Standard Ignition Part Number - TS232
GP Part Number (Advance Auto) - 38-5083

May be useful for someone else.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the part numbers for this sensor - all verified. Would someone please add them to the parts number list?

Thanks,
Scott

Ford Part Number - F3TZ-10884-A
Standard Ignition Part Number - TS232
GP Part Number (Advance Auto) - 38-5083

May be useful for someone else.
scott-
which sensor is this one? the one on the head or block?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
scott-
which sensor is this one? the one on the head or block?

It is the one in the head. From what I can tell, it's only function is to set the check engine light and peg the in dash needle when it got to 242 degrees, according to icanfixall. Not sure of the exact name, the box just says temperature switch. Ford calls it Sensor Assembly - Water Temperature.

Scott

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online