New Owner - 87 F250 6.9 with ticking sound

KingSparta

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've searched forums for 'ticking' 'exhaust leak' 'lifters' and a few other variations of those but don't see anything that seems to match. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

Short history:
I'm late to the light truck diesel game but I just bought a 87 F-250 4X4 - 6.9 IDI / NA, Auto (C6 I think) with 94K original miles. No rust, overall excellent body, original interior. Paint is peeling and looks miserable but I love the truck. Rides like a... well, truck. It will beat you to death on a rough road.

I've driven it about 1,500 miles since I bought it, changed the oil, replaced the return fuel lines, fixed the A/C (this is Arizona) but not much else.

Truck runs GREAT. Starts instantly. Sounds great. Shifts great. Love everything about the truck except...

In the last 500 miles or so, after it warms up and accelerating or an incline there is a rapid ticking sound. The sound increases with load / acceleration. Yeah, like an exhaust manifold leak. Not super bad, but something isn't right. When it's at idle, I don't hear any ticking.

I took it to a diesel only shop but they said the exhaust is tight. No leaks. They said they don't typically work on trucks as old as mine and couldn't offer any suggestions except to replace the injectors, rebuild the injection pump... they quoted me $2,000 for injectors alone! They were nice but I'm kinda thinking they just don't want to work on trucks like mine. They suggested driving it until the sound got worse or something else went wrong.

I'd prefer NOT to wait and just see what breaks.

Doesn't sound like a lifter to me but not sure because this is my first light truck diesel.

So reaching out to other IDI owners to get some feedback on what I should do.

Any suggestions? Diagnosis? If I can video or record the sound, I'll post it here if it will help.

It's not a super loud ticking sound but it's defintely NOT supposed to be there.

*** Just thought of this - doesn't make any sense to me but perhaps the ticking is because I'm not using a fuel additive?

Thanks in advance...

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a good video on youtube then share it here so we can hear. Those stupid flexible slip flanges they use to connect the manifold end to the down-pipe always leak on just about every truck with a kiss of rust. Mine ticks pretty loud probably above 2000 rpm then settles down while cruising but is still noticeable.

Nothing at idle and no engine noise though.

KingSparta

Reaction score
Get a good video on youtube then share it here so we can hear. Those stupid flexible slip flanges they use to connect the manifold end to the down-pipe always leak on just about every truck with a kiss of rust. Mine ticks pretty loud probably above 2000 rpm then settles down while cruising but is still noticeable.

Nothing at idle and no engine noise though.

Will get a video to try to catch the ticking sound and post here / Youtube so you guys can hear. Sounds like it's coming from under the hood but who knows... Back this evening.

I'm considering using the truck to tow a trailer half-way across the U.S., but prefer no surprises. Thanks.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres a good video. Mine sounds about the same. If you go beneath with some wd40/pb blaster whatever and spray near it you can seet where it is. Or a smoke test. Or a piece of paper held up works great for determining location.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was ticking too...steering pump pulley loose, and the alternator bracket had slipped about 3-4mm

Would increase as it accelerates.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also check that your throttle cable has the foam insulator on it where it rests on the injector line on driver's side. Will cause tick heard inside cab. Replacement non-OEM cable may not have this feature. Simple fix.

Dummy99

Reaction score
I had a ticking noise shortly after I bought my truck and it was just low on oil haha. :idiot: