New motor for the old dog...

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all -
Long (long) time no post - figured I'd check in. My old Dually has been nursing a pretty bad motor for quite some time - low enough on compression that when I moved another 3000 feet into the mountains a year ago, I quit using it to tow. On a whim, it became the tow rig to get us to Easter Jeep Safari about two weeks before we left- so a buddy and I put in a donor motor out of an 86 f350, a zf5 from a 94, a solid mass clutch setup from a 1991 f250 IDI, and a tcase from who knows where in place of the old drivetrain - in a day. We had a couple hiccups with the install before we left, but it pulled my little Amigo over the passes with no issues - I love this old truck. It still need some fuel system work, but it feels great to have it running at 80% again instead of 50%. The only reason I worked on it while we were gone was to donate the driver axleshaft to my buddies crawler IDI that broke one on a trail. Anyways - didn't have much for time to take pics pre-trip - but here is the end result.
You must be registered for see images attach

BTW, I'm very much looking forward to pulling the heads off my poor old engine... I'll put a pic up of a cylinder or two that has eaten 3-4 glow plug tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online