New member-Please help-7.3l IDI Turbo glowplugs

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Did some searching and turned up nothing but while searching this site seemed to have good folks and some comprehensive information.

I now only own diesels (2 cars and this truck) but am really still a newbie as far as diesels are concerned and i know much more about VW's than this truck.

My question is my WTS light has begun to go out immediately (1994 F250 IDI Turbo) it used to stay on for 5-10 seconds but now goes out immediately and starting is hard. Example- @ 45-50 degrees ambient, it takes 15-20 seconds of cranking with the pedal 1/2 way down to start. When started it of course belches white smoke and idles rough for about 20-30 seconds.

So I *assume* I have 1 or all Glow Plugs inoperable. FYI- I can hear the relay click when i turn the key so I will *assume* it is fine.

Am I correct in my thinking?

If I am, are Motorcraft ZD9's the best and correct plug for my truck???

What type of connector at top of glow plug do I need???

I know i have to remove the valve covers to get to the GP's how about the valve cover gaskets??? Do they need to be replaced or are they the reusable type??? If they need replaced do y'all have favorite brands or a part number???

How much time does it take for an average to poor mechanic to change all 8 plugs out???

Thank you in advance for your help........Frank

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have more than two glow plugs burned out. If it's an IDI they are outside the covers and will have bullet connectors.

Last edited:

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My question is my WTS light has begun to go out immediately (1994 F250 IDI Turbo) it used to stay on for 5-10 seconds but now goes out immediately and starting is hard. Example- @ 45-50 degrees ambient, it takes 15-20 seconds of cranking with the pedal 1/2 way down to start. When started it of course belches white smoke and idles rough for about 20-30 seconds.

So I *assume* I have 1 or all Glow Plugs inoperable. FYI- I can hear the relay click when i turn the key so I will *assume* it is fine.

Am I correct in my thinking?

What type of connector at top of glow plug do I need???

I know i have to remove the valve covers to get to the GP's how about the valve cover gaskets??? Do they need to be replaced or are they the reusable type??? If they need replaced do y'all have favorite brands or a part number???

How much time does it take for an average to poor mechanic to change all 8 plugs out???

Thank you in advance for your help........Frank

I think you are correct in suspecting the glowplugs. You can do a simple check on the glow plugs by pulling the connector off it and with a test light see if the glow plug terminal will provide a ground to light the test light. Better way is with an ohm meter, but light will probably tell you.

Motorcraft ZD 9 are the only ones to go with, and they will have the bullit type connector that your wiring harness does. I recently got a set from rockauto.com and they were about $85 with shipping.

You DO NOT need to remove the valve covers on an IDI engine. That is only necessary on a powertroke. It will take you a couple of hours if all goes well. Be careful as sometimes the tips will swell and make them tough to get out.

Here is a good writeup on glowplug R&R http://members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Glow plug removal article.html

Reaction score
Unless there is something different about the turbo models that I don't know of, you shouldn't have to touch the valve covers to do the GPs. Yes, replace with OE Motorcraft plugs and yes, your truck uses ZD9s. Unless your harness falls apart while disconnecting it, you won't need any new connectors. Mine crumbled apart and I ended up replacing a few of the connections on the harness with the El Cheapo blue bullet connectors you can get at any parts store, along with a bit of heatshrink sleeving.

All 8 plugs, assuming the old ones come out easy, should be 30-60 minutes, tops. That includes vacuuming or blowing out the area surrounding the GPs to ensure you don't get crud down the holes. Really easy, like way easier than changing spark plugs on a gasser.

Mike

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 8 plugs, assuming the old ones come out easy, should be 30-60 minutes, tops. That includes vacuuming or blowing out the area surrounding the GPs to ensure you don't get crud down the holes. Really easy, like way easier than changing spark plugs on a gasser.

Mike

True, except for the 2 killer ones under the factory turbo....

gandalf

Reaction score
Hi all, ....

........Frank

Welcome to Oilburners, Frank. You'll find a wealth of information and experience here, and some pretty friendly people.

I'd say you're right. It sounds as though you have one or more glowplugs not working. It's probably best to replace them all, as long as you're doing some. Be very careful pulling them out. If you meet any resistance while turning them, post back for further instructions. You DO NOT want to break off a swollen tip.

Don't crank your engine more than 15-20 seconds at a time. At that point let it rest for five minutes so the starter can cool. Otherwise you stand a good chance of burning out the starter.

The Motorcraft ZD-9s are Beru glowplugs repackaged by Ford. Buy either brand. They are the only ones really recommended here.

You've said you have a '94 IDI. If you have the IDI rather than the Powerstroke, you don't need to pull the valve covers to replace the glowplugs. That handy feature started with the Powerstroke. You might, however, have trouble reaching some of them due to your turbo. Good luck on that one.

That's it from my end. More and better-informed members will take it from here.

EDIT: I see three other members posted while I was typing.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Holy crap Batman, you guys are fast!!!! Great answers to my questions.

So the harness is prone to deteriorating? Anybody have a part number for the harness or do you have to make it? (Hope not)

Since you guys are so helpful and efficient, how about a pointer on the fuel heater? mine is leaking from the electrical connector at the top of the filter head. Some chuckle head who owned it before me was nice enough to goop some silicone or something on there and ****** the cap of the boot for the electrical connection.

Got a part number or proper fix for that???

You guys are great here. On my VW TDI forum it usually takes much longer for help.

Any other advise about this truck would be great. I have tried to get the manual from Help but it is out of stock. I did get a haynes and the Ford IDI Turbo supplment but neither is great for comprehensive info about the glow plugs and fuel system.

Last edited:

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Thank you. I guess i need to learn this forum layout better. I tried to look for stickied info as i thought my issues would be pretty typical. I will look again.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank...

Welcome to Oil Burners, the best site for these trucks bar none.

Congratulations on owning one of these fine trucks as well as the VW's

Now as for your issue, yes, GP's if an IDI are OUTSIDE as previously covered.

Again if you come across any resistance while trying to remove them...STOP and repost here whats going on in as much detail as you can!

If you have a swollen tip on the GP and break that off, it can cause catastrophic results with the engine! We are pretty sure that's not something you want to have occur.

Now if you take a bit of time, go through the tech article, and FAQ sections, you will find a wealth if information including an answer to your fuel heater issue. There is an oring in there and IIRC it's covered in the tech articles!

Hope you enjoy this site and have fun here too.

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger