New member, old trucks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the info. I need. Thanks. Funny thing, this truck lived the first 10 years of it's life in Gustine, TX, if you are from Hamilton, you should know where that is, just up HWY 36. :)
know exactly there Gustine is :D
I figured you must be in the central TX area judging by the trees in the background.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Central Texas is home, has been since the mid 60's. I have lived all over the country, but this part of Texas is special. Currently enjoying 8 acres of Oaks between Burnet and Bertram. We were in Hamilton a few months ago, had to pick up some pipe fencing.

Here is something I have never heard of or seen. The previous owner said the left front automatic hub will occasionally get loose, he gave me the wrench to tighten it up a couple times a year. Is this something that is normal on these trucks? The 91 has manual hubs and they are fine.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I didn't even know they had the auto hubs back then.
Yes, that seems odd. Maybe clean the threads and apply some blue loctite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would recommend Conestoga diesel injection for fuel related upgrades you want to do. I bought all my upgraded fuel parts from them.;Sweet

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al, that is certainly the best solution, but will have to be way down the road. I did a little research on it this morning, it seems the fix is to put it back together correctly. lol

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Central Texas is home, has been since the mid 60's. I have lived all over the country, but this part of Texas is special. Currently enjoying 8 acres of Oaks between Burnet and Bertram. We were in Hamilton a few months ago, had to pick up some pipe fencing.

Here is something I have never heard of or seen. The previous owner said the left front automatic hub will occasionally get loose, he gave me the wrench to tighten it up a couple times a year. Is this something that is normal on these trucks? The 91 has manual hubs and they are fine.

If hub is getting loose I bet the axle u joint is shot and seizing up. This was the case in mine and it wore out both lockout hubs. Pull the hub and inspect it and the axle u joint

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking at gears for the axles. Axle is a Ford/Sterling C5 with 4:10's, I assume it is the same axle set for both so I can order two sets of gears. The big decision will be 3:73 or 3:55. My gut says go with the 3:55's as this truck will be mostly a highway truck. It rarely ever does towing duty but I will tow an 18' bumper flat bed trailer, nothing very heavy, and the heaviest thing will be a 3500# tractor. I am looking mostly for fuel economy, with the 4:10's first gear is useless to me, it starts out easily in second, I have to keep it floored to even see 70 mph, and that has to be fixed. Driving 60-65 mph is getting old. :)

Does anyone regret going to 3:55's with the ZF-5?

Is the price difference between Motive, Richmond, Yukon or others mean a justifiable difference in quality? My old Firebird had Motive gears on it, I beat the crap out of them and never had an issue but the 7.3 does have more torque.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 3.55s and like them. 75 mph at around 2200 rpm. Like you, my truck is used mostly for running around and portable welder use, but I have hauled a Ford 4000 and speedmover behind it and it did just fine.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence in the 3:55's. Central Ks, I lived just south of you in Newton for a while.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Don't seem to have a lot of guys on here from KS.

Newton's about half an hour from me.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the area but after 7 years in the Midwest it was time for this old Texas man to go home.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
3.55s are nice for hwy even towing like said above I think those gears are what your looking for.
What gears to do have now?
If you have a axle with 4.10s and wanted to trade for 3.55s I have one. What part of Tx are you in?

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am near Burnet, which is northwest of Austin and yes I have 4:10's.

Last edited: