New IP time!

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today I got hooked up with Gary and I've got a timing meter on the way :Thumbs Up

The truck has been sitting down by the barn since shorts weather and it been more on the negative side of the mercury for the past couple of days - I was in for an up hill battle. I've been collecting parts and I'm going to try and do my best to document this along the way - I've got a U-Haul IP, new BB code injectors and a Carrier fuel pump to install. Last fall I installed a new set of Beru glow plugs and ran a button to the dash as I had my GP relay stick on and fry all of my original GP's... never again!

I just replaced both batteries with some nice Oriley Auto units - I'll grab the specs, but after my buddies employee discount, they were just over $80 a shot! :sly I've had a Schumacher 3 amp battery maintainer on them to protect my investment and I went down to start it yesterday and this is what I got-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktHvC7PbYNY&feature=youtu.be

Attempt #2 -
I plugged in the block heater and an oil pan heater and tossed six gallons of #1 diesel (it was only 2.89 in town :***: ) with some Diesel Kleen and gave it hell.

http://youtu.be/k2RArHvgFN0

The warmer water and oil made a massive difference - I took it out for a spin and it runs great as usual. I parked it up at the house and I'll start the tear down on Friday when the meter is set to arrive... on my day off too! :D

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is true. Kyle has a meter on its way to him. We have been pming each other about what and how to do this work and the question of what degree of time do I like. I explained the 9.4 works well with the fuels of today but I'm now running 9.0 degrees advance and really like it. So it was my suggestion to him to time the engine to both but... Make a center punch mark in the joint where the pump meets the gear housing for both 9.0 and 9.4 degrees. Make them on different sides. Then he can run both positions and swap back and forth without needing a timijng meter to change the timing. Others might try this using several different degrees of time like maybe 10.0 or 9.5 or 8.5. We have the room for the marks.. Why not...:thumbsup::sly

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this is where the truck was sitting - forgot about this shot. The truck is basically on life support here :D
You must be registered for see images attach

One of the packages on my door I wasn't expecting today - hooray!

I cleaned up the garage in preparation and headed to the local self wash car wash to clean things up to start-

I did some pre-swap 0-60 runs in 4WD before I parked it to warm up - its not super scientific or anything, but its good to have something to compare to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcvX5m0IN4&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPz8hT_qdz8&feature=share&list=UU3xxCTsaQ9CzNOSpDLQkxoQ

It takes roughly 18-20 seconds to hit 60mph - 3.50 gears, 4 speed and on 265/75/16" steel wheels. The bed had some snow in it - full front tank and half a rear tank of fuel.

I totally spaced getting a return line kit, so I've got to order one of those pronto - looks like I'm just doing an IP and not an injector swap.

Here is the question - will replacing injectors affect the overall timing of the motor? I've got to put the timing tool back in the mail on Tuesday, so I'm not sure I'll have time to make adjustments after the fact... I will be making multiple timing marks though, so I can always adjust it to get the best butt dyno feeling...

Last edited:

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the goods-

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Here is the question - will replacing injectors affect the overall timing of the motor?

If we assume that your new injectors are popping at the correct psi and the old injectors are popping lower than yes there will be a difference in time.

Said another way, as the springs wear out in these injectors over time, say 30 to 50,000 miles, it changes the timing of the engine.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I would be very interested in your carrier pump install? I'd love to do that on my truck, and lots of photos and info would be nice!

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we assume that your new injectors are popping at the correct psi and the old injectors are popping lower than yes there will be a difference in time.

Said another way, as the springs wear out in these injectors over time, say 30 to 50,000 miles, it changes the timing of the engine.

That makes sense - so not only is the old IP fighting, so are the old injectors...

I would be very interested in your carrier pump install? I'd love to do that on my truck, and lots of photos and info would be nice!

I'll do what I can - should be fairly straightforward.

Return kit is on the way - I dont think I have any air intrusion at this point, so I'm going to try and re-use the kit and replace it when the new stuff arrives. Timing is critical now-

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, making progress today. This project is much easier than I anticipated, which is always a good thing... but I'm not done yet.

I pulled the air cleaner and this is what I find - should I worry about this?

Looks crusty - some of the crap in there *may* be magnetic, at least it stuck to my magnet either way.

Everything came apart nicely here - I'm going to put everything together with the existing return lines until I get the replacement kit.

All looks well here - another good core for the parts pile.

I spoke to Gary for some time and this man is truly a blessing to the community - I cannot thank him enough for making this a confident and smooth procedure.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for the goodies -

Bonus - didn't realize I had these too... Why did they send me 12? They are Bosch bullet style though, I have the harness, so its no big deal, but are these worthy of having or will they swell on me?

Last edited:

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucked, my hands hurt... lol

Primed the pump best I could, couldn't get fluid out, but I didn't hook up a drill or anything...

Looks like I had a few leaky injectors - more power to be made for sure!

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
As I recall the procedure for installing caps on injectors:

Coat o-rings in vaseline (before or after install - I forgot, I think after)
(You may want to buy/use new ordinary o-rings for now, you should be getting Viton o-rings in the kit coming to you)
Install top o-ring first, slide lower o-ring over top o-ring and into the lower position.
Sounds like you are going to reuse you old caps for now, I have reused one in a pinch before...
Install caps till they "click" into place, If needed use a socket (I like a deep well) that is just the size of the cap (forgot what size) to push it into place/click
I am wondering if old caps will "click" into place anymore???
I should have made this # 1) Follow everything Gary says to the letter! (Especially if he gave you advise contrary to mine.)

Priming IP

Put batteries on a charger, disconnect glow plugs
Crank at wide open throttle for 10ish seconds, repeat after one minute cool down, (as I recall), allow batteries to recharge, repeat, this can take 2-3 full recharge cycles on your batteries, it will prime, just takes time sometimes.

Connect glow plugs when you see white smoke at the tailpipe and start your engine!

I realize you did not ask these questions, I have tried to anticipate the next steps you will be doing.

Its been almost three years since I have done this, all the above is from memory, this group and Gary talked me through every step of the way, big thanks to all and Gary, feel free to correct my poor memory if needed.

PS Floor charger with 200 amp engine start works best
PS2 The size of socket should be about 9/16ths or a bit larger-17-20mm, I like the OD of the socket to be the same as the OD of the cap.

Last edited:

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap, I didnt push down o them, just used the line to ride them down...

I'm here now regardless - everything back together with lines cracked at injectors...

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Crap, I didnt push down o them, just used the line to ride them down...

I'm here now regardless - everything back together with lines cracked at injectors...

Any injectors that had caps that were not seated properly will most likely leak... You will know, hopefully no leaks

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it didn't seem to matter as i don't have any leaks so far- I do have that sweet smoky sign of success though!

I cleared out the garage, now its time to start the timing side of things. With the lines cracked I ran through the crank cycle three times before I got fluid out of 7 of 8 injectors. I saw white smoke, so a few seconds on the glow plugs and I had an instantaneous start.

It sure sounds really mean right now - lol, I wonder what the timing is set at, but it definitely sounds different...