new heater for mercury

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys I bought me a heater since its getting cooler and was wondering what ports you use on the 7.3 to route the water to inside the cab? Seems like where the sensor for the hi idle is would be the hottest area.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
well the beauty of these motors are the heads are identical. on the passenger side should be the heater inlet (water outlet). the same hole on the drivers side sports the overtemp switch. The return is the inlet on the water pump.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so one of the plugs on the front or rear of head close to the manifold? I have my fuel heater looped from both of those on the passenger side. On gas engines the heater line runs from on top of the intake behind the thermostat I guess for the most heat.
You must be registered for see images attach

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i'll snap a pic of how my fuel heater and heater core is run in the am. but by that picture you could make it far more efficent by moving more water through it.
btw you can take it from the rear plug on the drivers side. Thats where my fuel heater is tapped.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going for more slow moving water when I did the fuel heater this way. I was hopping it would be a little cooler this way but my block still gets to hot to touch. Is what your saying that the rear drivers side will have more heat than the passenger side?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so one of the plugs on the front or rear of head close to the manifold? I have my fuel heater looped from both of those on the passenger side. On gas engines the heater line runs from on top of the intake behind the thermostat I guess for the most heat.

K dad said only dumb question was the one u didn't ask...

Whats the fuel heater for????

BTW...nice turbo setup..got one of those coming really soon!

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I run around 80% so I heat it to thin it out. Going to the shop to get started. I will get some pics tonight!

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I got the heater installed but could not find my electrical connectors box with all my ends. I still need to wire up the fans and get me some insulation wrap for the heater hose for inside and outside. This thing is radiating some good heat without the fans moving. I hooked up all the heater hose like crazy was talking about and capped one end of my fuel heater for the time. My block heater seems to still be getting real hot with just the one line hooked up. I guess heat rises just like I was taught in school.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
convection is a powerful force.

put a T in that return hose and run that to your capped off block on the heater.

you will still get plenty of heat for both sources. Both mine work great but granted i'm in FL but since i'm tiny i get cold easily.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im tiny!!LOL Well right now I am running 100% number 2 and I am going to take truck to shop to get the timing set. My fuel mileage has not been great and I think its because the timing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online