New guy, comments questions

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been lurking and searching the forum since I bought an '89 E350 7.3IDI RV conversion about 6 months ago. Thanks to all your experiences I have worked pretty much all the issues out of my RV, which when I bought it would only start when block heated, even in fairly moderate weather. I added an electric fuel supply pump (holley), replaced the glowplug relay, resealed the injector returns and pump lines, replaced the failed filter check valve (with a real check valve, not the rubber thing), and finally replaced the batteries and starter. Now it will start regardlesss of temperature (with a little cranking when cold. I also finally got some DCA4 into the coolant at the appropriate levels (that is a story unto itself!)
Anyhow, 2 questions, first I replaced the starter with a 'powermaster' starter, which I got from Jegs. It seems to be a big step up from the stock, but the stock was clearly failing (and did in fact fail). Anyone have long term experience with these starters?
Second, I would like to have the injection timing checked, but I haven't found a place to do it that I trust (I have trust issues with others working on my vehicles) I'll soon be driving from eastern Connecticut to Salt Lake City (new home) so if someone knows of a good shop that I could get to here or along that route, I would appreciate a recommendation.
BTW, I also had to have the E4od rebuilt, of course, and had a great shop in manchester CT do the job, Main Street Transmission. I wouldn't normally mention it, but the head guy, Buzz, was very knowlegeable and did a great job for a very reasonable price.
Anyway, this is a good forum for solid information, which is a rare thing on the internet.
JwS

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all welcome to the board. As far as your timing is concerned you may be able to hook up with someone on the board to have it done. there are several here who have the equipment to do it and you know it will be done right that way. I cant say any thing about the starter ---- sorry :dunno

Did you replace the Glow plugs? that may help you with the cold weather starts also

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I had a Powermaster on my 12 to 1 427 for many years, also bought from Jegs as I am about 70 miles from their headquarters. The one we had was very good, is still on that motor sitting in the garage and will crank that bad boy up on command. I think you will be happy with it.

Also, welcome to the site. Might be good to add the part number to our part number list if you still have it from the starter. While I haven't needed one (starter that is) I would probably go that route as well now knowing that they have one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle