new gp relay weird symptoms? help?

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I replaced my glow plugs about april, may ish. when complete I realized that they were not cycling, and the relay was shot. Today I finally got a wild hair and replaced the relay, and am not sure yet if its working correctly. when I turn the key on the gp light comes on for a very short time like 3-4 seconds maybe. Under the hood I can hear the relay clicking over and over again like its cycling. My question, as stupid as it sounds, is what noise does the relay actually make when working correctly. Its been a while since my gps have actually worked, and Im having a heck of a time recalling what the relay sounded like when it did work. I dont remember it clicking over and over again ( 30 secounds or so at 0 degrees), but embarassingly enough I dont remember.

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I replaced my glow plugs about april, may ish. when complete I realized that they were not cycling, and the relay was shot. Today I finally got a wild hair and replaced the relay, and am not sure yet if its working correctly. when I turn the key on the gp light comes on for a very short time like 3-4 seconds maybe. Under the hood I can hear the relay clicking over and over again like its cycling. My question, as stupid as it sounds, is what noise does the relay actually make when working correctly. Its been a while since my gps have actually worked, and Im having a heck of a time recalling what the relay sounded like when it did work. I dont remember it clicking over and over again ( 30 secounds or so at 0 degrees), but embarassingly enough I dont remember.
The cycling for 30 seconds after pre-heat sounds normal, but a pre-heat of 4 seconds at 0 degrees is too short.

Check all your plugs for continuity, and that the wires are attached. Less current from burned out plugs fools the glow controller into a shorter pre-heat.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, the electronic GPR will ON/OFF cycle for up to 2 minutes, emission control. That short cycle of 4 seconds ON is an indication that all the GP's are not working, should be about 12-20 seconds at 0*F. Hope you put Beru GP's in.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres the weird thing, that has me thinking continuity is good. With the old controller the dash light worked flawless, as if it was heating normal, but nothing else was happening. no clicking or noise from controller what so ever. Its like it was cycling, but not getting power to the gps. Now with new controller, the light comes on with the key, just momentarilly (flash) then I hear the click, click, click, constant for 30 sec. or so. from what I recall the controller would click when the key was in the on possition, light on dash would cycle for its determined time according to temp, then go out. Its been so long I just cant recall. It may be working fine, just not sure whats up with the dash indicator. If I can get in outa the butt cold weather some where, ill run some tests. Could a bad ground off of the controller be affecting the light sender?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little confusing, first you said you replaced the Relay, now you say the controller. Could be a defective controller. A bad ground will affect everything. Black wire to ground, no paint or rust under the ring terminal. Best ground is the bolt with a nut on it on the rear of the intake manifold.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little confusing, first you said you replaced the Relay, now you say the controller. Could be a defective controller. A bad ground will affect everything. Black wire to ground, no paint or rust under the ring terminal. Best ground is the bolt with a nut on it on the rear of the intake manifold.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I apoligize for the confusion, the controller was what I replaced, did not realize there was a seperate relay.:dunno I was typing my response to Mr.T apparently the same time you were helping me out. I will check my plug connections today and do some continuity test, and will switch my ground wire over to said suggested area,(think turbo is mounted there though, will maybe try valve cover area) right now its grounded to the bracket for the gp controller. Suppose it could be a defective controller, but will check for stupid mistakes on my part before jumping to conclusions cookoo. Thank you so much for the help and God Bless.
BTW. I used the crappy autolite gps, upon replacement as it was my only option at one and only auto parts store in my town. The plugs that came out were berus and I will test them as well, If good will put them back in, as im almost sure the plugs were not the issue in the first place.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really really REALLY need to get those junk gps out of your truck!!!!!!! Wait on them if you order them. You are really asking for some serious headaches!!! I am pretty sure you are going to be ok, but get those things out of there!

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds that you have multiple glow plugs not functioning. If 2-3 or more are bad, you'll get what you described.

Way back when you may have had a bad controller but replaced the plugs so the bad controller could of cooked the new plugs. Now you have a proper functioning controller but burnt glows. Buy Berus and you should be good.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, I really apreciate the help. I checked all the burus today and all checked out great. I will put them back in and see where that leads me. No more Autolites, point taken. thanks again.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, I really apreciate the help. I checked all the burus today and all checked out great. I will put them back in and see where that leads me. No more Autolites, point taken. thanks again.

Gave a set of Autolites to a guy free just shipping, still waiting on my $7.50, only been a year ago, mail is sure slow now adays. Wonder how many have swelled up. :rolleyes::D

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gave a set of Autolites to a guy free just shipping, still waiting on my $7.50, only been a year ago, mail is sure slow now adays. Wonder how many have swelled up. :rolleyes::D

Gave him a set! What the hell did he do to **** you off bad enough to give him them bombs?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't do anything to me to **** me off, just said he needed a set of GP's, I offered and he took them.
Just kinda pissed now. Ah what the hell 7.50 ain't gonna break me.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I'm having the same symptoms right now and i just checked all of my glowplugs with an ohm meter and theyre fine. what else could cause this? its gotten down to near freezing around here and its an issue in the mornings, i have to crank on it for a while. got below freezing the other night and had to jump it with the car to start. i have a glow plug relay off another truck that i can try putting in, maybe the relay is the issue?

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
well, i think i may have found my problem. im a **** and checked ohms with the glow plugs still plugged in. rechecked em and 1 was 12 ohms, 1 was 10, one was 5, the rest were under .5. i know these are not normal readings.. would this cause my issue? guess thats what i get for putting autolites in. was gonna buy zd9s last year, parents bought autolites for me... looks like ill be buying my own now

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... rechecked em and 1 was 12 ohms, 1 was 10, one was 5, the rest were under .5. i know these are not normal readings.. would this cause my issue?

Probably... Possibly not be the whole problem, but you'll know more after replacing them. Hope they arn't swelled and stuck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online