new diesel owner in Knoxville, TN

rl_tn

Reaction score
Greetings!

After getting my first truck (2wd gasser Tundra) and driving it about 6 years, I sold it last fall. BIG MISTAKE. Life without a truck is a pale imitation.

So I've been doing lots of research and looking at candidates on craigslist, ebay, and other local and regional sources...

That's when I ran across this site and others - and was blown away by the breadth and depth of the intel I found here and on the Dieselstop. You guys know soooooo much about diesel trucks it's amazing - and what I've seen of member support for other (newbie & experienced) members is admirable.

I will endeavor to be worthy of that support!

This afternoon i went and checked out one of the 7.3 IDI f250's i've been looking at online. 1993 F250 XLT with about 230k. Injectors and GP just changed out, along with fuel lines. New batteries, few other things. It looked to be in pretty good shape. No frame rust, none on the radiator support, body was in really good shape too. Box is clean of rust, lots of bare metal or close to it, but nothing setting in yet re: rot.

It was the first start up of the day, and took the guy cranking about 6 seconds before it came to life. He noted that the GP controller needed to be replaced, not sending the right voltage to all the GP, about a $85 dollar part.

It's been about 20 years since I drove a manual truck and it took a bit of getting used to. (also first ever 4x4) but it handled well for what it is.

Another issue on the truck is that the link rod between the 4x4 shift rod in the cab and the linkage beneath is not installed. Guy has the rod itself but the hardware on both sides of the linking rod was lost so we had to kick it into 4 low manually from under the truck in order for me to confirm the system worked. Man, forget about responsive steering in that mode, huh? :)

I was really impressed with the engine and transmission as a whole, very robust... and i got the sense I could have pulled the guy's home off its foundation if I'd tried. Bed has a flip up 5th wheel ball, plus a rear mounted hitch with a couple different types of harness connections. Dual fuel tanks, thought I'm not sure on the capacity. I'd read they were 17 and 19, but he said they were both 15 gallon tanks, and also advised not to get below 1/4 tank on either of them.

What's the story on not letting diesel tanks dip below that 1/4 mark?

Last issue is the emergency break pedal is loose - almost felt like a return spring was missing or broken... I had to pull it up manually to release it, but it engaged just fine... just couldn't depress and toggle back off, if that makes sense.

I'll be getting a ride tomorrow to go pick it up. Wish me luck as I learn to feed and care for this tough old gal! :)

Good to meet y'all. I look forward to learning from ya.

Rich

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Truck sounds like a good deal.
Far as 1/4 tank, the pickup cones aka shower heads are probably broke off. Easy fix.
All easy fixes actually.
Once you get it, post up some pictures.
Oh and read up on the faqs and stickies at the top.
Welcome.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

rl_tn

Reaction score
Thanks, Jasper! I'll post some pics soon.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those parking brakes often give an indication of the condition of the rear brakes. When I bought my current truck one of the cables was frozen in the housing and wouldn't release. One side was always engaged and did a number on all the brake parts on that side. It is easy enough to check the condition your rear brakes. With the wheel removed the brake drum sides off over the studs. If the shoes have worn a step in the drum surface you may need to back the pads off to get the drum off.

rl_tn

Reaction score
I just picked up my jack and stands from Harbor Freight so I'll have to get her up off the floor soon to check this out. Thanks, TahoeTom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance