new bumpers!!

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im in the process of converting the van into a pop-top style camper...its gonna retain the stock seating snd such...but with added storage...

got it gutted...got the floor preped and painted next is the insulation for sound and heat...

waitin on payday for the sound/heat insulation...

so its BUMPERS!!!

DISCLAMER!!...needs welds ground down and painted!!

You must be registered for see images attach

front needs the grill guard built...and some "tweeking" but all it all not bad!! front and winchmount 3/16 plate...outsides 14/16gauge flat steel...total weight about 100lbs...stocker was HEAVIER!!...

back is same material...didnt cut for the winch yet..need to get the one for the back before I go cuttin holes wrong... :)

total of 6hours building after I got the patterns made...over 4hrs JUST welding yesterday...and after that...I dont feel like doin crap with it today!! :D

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You used only 14-16 guage? Isn't that a little weak? I went for 1/8 inch with 4 inch square by 1/8 inch tubing behind it. So about 1/4 inch total, in diamond treadplate. It passed the sledgehammer test and the tree test. :D;Sweet

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You used only 14-16 guage? Isn't that a little weak? I went for 1/8 inch with 4 inch square by 1/8 inch tubing behind it. So about 1/4 inch total, in diamond treadplate. It passed the sledgehammer test and the tree test. :D;Sweet

its not for too much bashin as it is for bambi-deflection...

JUST the brown parts are thinner...and all fairly stiff due to design...the bare parts are 3/16 and thats where I needed the strength for the winches/pushin...

I've built several TOTAL 3/16 and thicker like this...they weight a TON...these buggers are less than 120lbs each and keep the load light (no saggin..the diesel does nuff of that!!)....and designed to protect the van n absorb impacts...

now my wheelin rig....its bumpers dont even dent...:sly

all my rigs are autobots...my wife thinks im a dork...little kids think its cool...so its kinda a win....;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online