new air filter time?

92LongBed

Reaction score
first post here! please excuse any errors on my part.

popped the air filter outta my old (new to me) 92 f-350 with a banks turbo system and it seems to be quite squished and melted. i believe it’s time to replace it no? extremely new to auto restoration or maintenance so any advice is accepted.

also i found a replacement but it did take some digging. i’m assuming the only way to remedy this is to upgrade the entire turbo system or is there a way to fit a new air filter system on the old style banks sidewinder system

thank you

i attached photos of said filter for reference

You must be registered for see images attach

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try cleaning and "recharging" (oiling) it back to life or yes just get a regular paper one

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throw that in the trash and put a real paper element in its place. I'd be a little concerned with the amount of debris on the inside of the element.

If that filter has numbers on it, should be able to cross online through NAPA, Baldwin, Wix, etc.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd be a little concerned with the amount of debris on the inside of the element.
I noticed that too. In one picture, it looks like there's three holes in the side that's farthest away from the camera, but I think that it's just crud.

Elart

Reaction score
Breathing air that contains dust can make you sick. Paper air filters protect engine and do not restrict airflow, so it would be the best desicion in this case.

92LongBed

Reaction score
Throw that in the trash and put a real paper element in its place. I'd be a little concerned with the amount of debris on the inside of the element.

If that filter has numbers on it, should be able to cross online through NAPA, Baldwin, Wix, etc.
Yeah it’s like the aluminum from the air intake hose you can see in the background probably deteriorating overtime. I’ll go with the paper element and fix it up that way. Thank you!

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be able to find a suitable plastic intake hose at a salvage yard. Alternatively, you may want to ask here buy sell trade section if anyone would have one that would work for you. BTW Welcome to The Forum!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I tried washing the old original K&N for my RV's ATS 085:

But it had HUGE holes in the material after it was clean. (and maybe before). I could see through it in places, so it got thrown away. I thought I had a pic of how bad it was, but I don't.

I got a NOS one in the box (sticker and all!) on ebay for about $40 shipped. (They're $100 new!) I bought a $10 K&N recharge kit and oiled it up before installing. I keep a paper material filter on hand as a backup.

ATS included a K&N with the 085 kit, and the sticker from that filter is on the dash under the AC controls, put there by the owner who had the turbo installed. Same exact sticker as the NOS one so it might be an 80s NOS filter even?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online