New 6.9 running like crap again

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im getting sick of having problems with this truck. But when we first started running it it only had a slight tick in the flywheel from an uneven running of the engine. I let it pass since it wasnt bad, and hoped it was just a symptom of not having 10k on it yet. Well its gotten worse to the point its a hard almost bang bang bang bang bang while idling, and the engine almost lopes.

I do not have a compression test on the thing, and to be honest I dont even know how to comp test one of these things.

I need ideas guys.
Thanks!

P.S. If any of you live down by Hays KS please send me your number, Im preparing to have something go wrong with it on this trip tomorrow.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
HAve you tried running a real stout dose of cleaner through the fuel? It's always possible while putting all that stuff together that a little grime or something got into in an injector or two :dunno
For real * last resort * type situations, about 4 cans of Diesel Purge might do the trick ( have to disconnect the fuel lines and run this stuff in direct full strength )
THat stuff will usually do the trick when an engine is shaking so bad it feels like it's going to pop the hood and get out and walk.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well the fuel in it IS nearly a year old. Wonder if possibly just the fuel in general could have done something.
It just doesnt make sense how it got worse and worse and worse. When you'd think if its a stuck ring or something it would get better the more and harder you run it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about popping the valve covers and having a look see. A compression test is actually pretty easy, the worst part is you have to have that glow plug adapter and be able to get the gauge on it. The gauge also needs to at least go up to 600psi. A standard gasoline engine gauge won't work. Also the batteries have to be fully charged and its easier on them and the starter if you also pull all the glow plugs. Hope it works out for you,
JD

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well the fuel in it IS nearly a year old. Wonder if possibly just the fuel in general could have done something.
It just doesnt make sense how it got worse and worse and worse. When you'd think if its a stuck ring or something it would get better the more and harder you run it.

Oh heck yes that could have something to do with it. Probably has critters in it :backoff When my truck sat 9 months while I was rebuilding the engine, the front tank got a nice batch of critters growing in it. I thought I put algae killer in both tanks, but I guess I forgot the front, because it was a real mess. once I got the fresh engine in, the screen on my e pump was getting clogged up about every 10 miles or so and I had to keep popping it off and cleaning it . I got some Killem in the tank and once that got ahold of it, the mess cleared out before too long and too many filters( I think I went through 2 main filters).