New 1995 F-250 Powerstroke

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hi, Just bought a 1995 F250 4x4 with the 7.3l stroke and an E4od that seems to be working well, except for going into "limp" mode occasionally when pulling a 5th wheel, according to the PO. But I will just be putting around for the time being so im not too worried about it just yet.

Starts well, doesn't smoke or leak and sounds good. Except for when on the throttle hard there is a tick, almost sound like the typical 7.3 bad valve guide or lifter tick tick tick but its deeper and only occurs under heavy load. No puffing sound through exhaust. And doesn not do it at all at idle or low throttle. PO said it was the wastegate or some sort of flap on the turbo that either isn't opening or closing all the way. Any thoughts?

Also Im aware of how critical it is to change the oil in the stroke engines, but I have heard at powerstrokehelp.com that there is an uper cylinder oil gallery that holds oil for the injectors and its a good ideal to change it aswell. What is this and where can I find it?

Thanks,

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really cant help on the tick without hearing it.it also doesnt wear out valve guides either.the psd has a "natural" tick from the injector solenoids.

95 psd does not have a waste gate.it does have an exhaust back pressure valve.but it makes no noise till it closes and then you hear a hissing noise.

dont waste your time worrying about changing the oil in the heads.drain the pan and fill it up.2 quarts of dirty oil wont harm anything.powerstrokehelp is kind of a joke to be honest.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ok I will just do a conventional oil change. So will the two quarts in the head drain out and get dilluted with the crankcase oil?
So I guess consistant oil changes is the key to longevitiy with the strokes, am I correct?

Yeah maybe its the exhuast backpressure valve then, it really sounds as if its coming from the trubo area. The turbine spins freely and there is very little play in it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
normal oil change is all it needs.the oil in the heads will get mixed in with the fresh oil.the stroke loves synthetic oil.i run conventional rotella 15/40.

the EBPV doesnt make any noise.and in this weather it does absolutely nothing.may want to peek at it and see if the actuator rod fell off it though.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
congrats on your stroke, might want to get the tranny looked at... as far as the noise? mine only shuts at start up makes a hiss then sounds like back pressure... when it is real cold it shuts and robs power... man I got to gut that thing...

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeaaah the ebpv actuator rod..found mine off ..wa l-mart has the best price on powerstrok oil and motor craft fl-1995 filters .check the steel braded hp-oil lines if the ends are fraide or badly rusted replace them with hydraulic 2-wire hoses (its common for the factory hpop hoses to blow-out or leak the plastic hose dries out and blows through the steel braid ..in my experence ..the heads dont hold much oil ..the housing on the front top of engine holds about 2 qts if you remove the hex plug with filter removed it should drain out shortly..and you will have to re-fill the housing with oil !good idea to remove plug and fill it anyway good luck w-the truck

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Just changed the oil with Rotella T 15-40 and left the upper galley alone for now.

That tick is next on my list of things to check out now....I will have a look see at that ebpv actuator rod just for good measure. Can it be adjusted or something?

And is a fuel conditioner needed to aid with ULSD like the older idis and whatnot? So far I have put Howes diesel treat in the tank.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeaaah the ebpv actuator rod..found mine off ..wa l-mart has the best price on powerstrok oil and motor craft fl-1995 filters .check the steel braded hp-oil lines if the ends are fraide or badly rusted replace them with hydraulic 2-wire hoses (its common for the factory hpop hoses to blow-out or leak the plastic hose dries out and blows through the steel braid ..in my experence ..the heads dont hold much oil ..the housing on the front top of engine holds about 2 qts if you remove the hex plug with filter removed it should drain out shortly..and you will have to re-fill the housing with oil !good idea to remove plug and fill it anyway good luck w-the truck

do not use hydraulic hose for HPO lines!you need to make sure the hose used can hold up to the temperature,pressure spikes and oil.very rarely do you hear about a psd poppin a line.ive had it happen once.im running the stealth dual hpop setup with 4 factory lines feeding the heads.

there is absolutely no need to drain the hpop system during an oil change.not really a good idea either as you can introduse dirt/dust into the system and potentially wipe out an injector if you get enough in there.plus all the air you will be introducing to the injectors.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Just changed the oil with Rotella T 15-40 and left the upper galley alone for now.

That tick is next on my list of things to check out now....I will have a look see at that ebpv actuator rod just for good measure. Can it be adjusted or something?

And is a fuel conditioner needed to aid with ULSD like the older idis and whatnot? So far I have put Howes diesel treat in the tank.

no adjustment for the ebpv.you can disconnect it and wire it open or gut it.you dont need it.its "supposed"to help force the motor to warm up quicker in the winter.

fuel additive is a good idea but not really a must have item like for the idi.

also welcome to the darkside and we lied about having cookies.:sly you will like the psd ;Sweet

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score

The oil in the "Upper galley" as you call it, gets pumped to the injectors and is used to push the plunger that injects the fuel. After that, the oil is squirted out of the injector and drains back into the oil pan. The guy on that web site acts like it's a closed system, with it's own oil.... It's not. The "Upper galley" actually gets it's oil from the low pressure oil pump, which is the same pump that lubes the rest of the engine.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New 1995 F-250 Powerstroke

Now Kevin a 95 is not new. Just kidding.:D :rolleyes:

Here is something that may help you tho pics below.. There is only a pint of oil in the HPOP reservoir, maybe a pint in the rest of the system = 1 Qt. total.

Attachments

• engine%20parts.jpg
    engine%20parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    PSD%20Engine%20Labels%201.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 20

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Im just realizing that it is currently 2011 Ha! where did the time go??:dunno

Ok, I might gut that ebpv valve and eliminate that possible source. Does the turbo have to come off for this?

And to 94f450sd I do like the PSD and would take it over any other post 1994 diesel but I don't think I will ever shy away from the idi as beign my favorite. Sure nice to drive the stroke though!:sly

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not use hydraulic hose for HPO lines!you need to make sure the hose used can hold up to the temperature,pressure spikes and oil.very rarely do you hear about a psd poppin a line.ive had it happen once.im running the stealth dual hpop setup with 4 factory lines feeding the heads.

there is absolutely no need to drain the hpop system during an oil change.not really a good idea either as you can introduse dirt/dust into the system and potentially wipe out an injector if you get enough in there.plus all the air you will be introducing to the injectors.
both my hpop factory hoses blew within a year replaced them with 3000 lb hydraulic hoses low cost and no worries about having to replace them ever again in my opinion !!my 95 psd has a adjustable evbp is it aftermarket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US