need suggestions on weird noise.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
truck in my sig, In 1-2-maybe third I hear a squeeking/squeeling from what sounds like under the truck.

It only seems to be present when idling or low power. If I push in the clutch the sound goes away, which rules out in my mind any wheel issue. If I speed up it sounds like it goes away (course I work on 2strokes, so my hearing may not be picking it up at higher frequency).
The throw out bearing should make noise when the clutch is depressed, not the other way around right?

All fluids in zf are good, no performance issues, etc.

any suggestions for me to think on would be appreciated, otherwise I'll probably find out when I drive 400miles tommorow :)

Drew

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
oh and I reinstalled the exhaust yesterday, it *may* be the cause, or it may be that I can hear it now instead of the engine noise.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a noise similar to that with my truck, I think mines the pilot bearing. I stops chirping when I lightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
thats possible.
dang, i have cash but no time now.... when I put in the ZF I had time and no money.

I'll tear it out sometime anyway. Well off to Knoxville in the am, we'll see if it holds out, or you'll see me on rt 75 pulling the flywheel :)

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines been doing it for awhile, I just dont have the time to pull the tranny.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
well finished the 400mile trip today. Gonna do it again tommorow.
Sounds like my DMF is getting kinda rough. Rattling real bad.
and the rear tank will suck air after 50miles.... grrr

Might have to do the Lucky Mod when I get home.

On another note, for those of you interested,
with the ZF5 Moose Pump, rpms @2100 65mph I got 20.9mpg first tank
Second tankful roughly 60mph through atlanta, 23.2mpg

I'll be interested to see what it's like on the way home as I'll be towing a trailer with another truck on it.

Drew

suv7734

Reaction score
On another note, for those of you interested,
with the ZF5 Moose Pump, rpms @2100 65mph I got 20.9mpg first tank
Second tankful roughly 60mph through atlanta, 23.2mpg

I'll be interested to see what it's like on the way home as I'll be towing a trailer with another truck on it.

Drew

Nice numbers. The numbers from the tow should be interesting :popcorn

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
DeepRoots, what gears do you have?

Also, if you depress the clutch slightly at idle, does the sound go away? Many times putting a little preload on the throw out bearing will stop it's squealing. If it does, it's prolly on it's way out, although I've seen them go many, many miles like that. From what you posted, I'm guessing throw out, but pilot could be doing it too, usually they don't stop with clutch apply pressure though, at least that's been my experience. We had a guy that kept bringing a tb back from a new clutch set, I asked the clutch rep why they could be failing, he said a lot of people sit with their clutch depressed for redlights, etc. and it will wear them out much quicker than shifting to neutral.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yeah well I went like 18 years without owning a manual trans, so I kept the original parts from H20Dr's zf junkyard truck.
I figured I'd screw most of the parts a little.... plus they were all ratty to begin with and most made some noise.
The Flywheel is rattling around with the truck at idle/nuetral.
Anyway, I'll make it home.

Figure new TOB, Kevlar Pilot, Lucky mod.
I woulda just bought a SMF kit, but well, this new truck is going to tie up alotta money for the near future.

But yeah, I hadn't done a whole tank on the highway with the moose + zf. Was very impressed as any acceleration beyond REALLY light pressure, results in some black smoke.
3.55 gears.
With the c6 I'd have been at 2800-2900rpms all day, never got over 15mpg.
With the zf it seems like 16-17 around town and low 20 highway is possible.... If I had the time I'd love to cruise light truck at 55mph and see what I got for economy.

Drew

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
huh, didn't know about the Kevlar. Ohh well, I'll rethink that one.
Well, that was a trip I don't intend to repeat, but mission accomplished, the 7.3idi survived my abuse again.

The spoils from our journey to the north:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
dude. truck cost $1000
1976 F100
302 with c4. Body is perfect, 2-3 dings, only rust is cab corner and inside the hood.
60k original miles. The one piece of grill I can get from the junkyard, and the interior is really good.... lil scratched paint, and the steering wheel is cracked.

I thought a good deal. Plus me and my son were looking to do some restore work.
I am going to make the body/interior perfect, and put in a FE big block, stroke it out to 431 or 445ci, with a Tremec 6 speed manual trans, double OD

should take about 3 years (mostly for allocated funding, as I estimate it'll cost $9-$10k to do what I want with it) but it'll be badass when it's done.

Drew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online