need some advise

pete350

pete
Reaction score
Hello my 97 7.3l diesel engine has low compression on hole #7. (200 rest all around 400 - 420) I need to know if this cyclinder just need to be honned out, can be done in the truck? Or does the engine need to come out. It looks very tight back there to work around. Has anyone done this? What will i need for parts besides Head gasket, pistion/bearings? :confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ummmm....
you know you're in the PSD section.....:eek:
I don't see a PSD in your sig line.
irregardless, even in the 80-97 trucks, major engine work is a bear.
pulling the BODY is a mandatory item if you're dealing with a '99 and up truck if your goal is to work on the motor while it is still mounted on the frame.
pull the radiator support and pull the motor. your back will like you more;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to work on a hole she's gotta come out, you cant get the pan off to access rod and main bolts to even begin piston removal with the engine in frame.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yank it out. If your going to work on one cylinder do the other seven. You will have it apart so it's the best time to through the block and freshen it up.:cool

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
but before you jump to contusions, do a leakdown test on that hole and make sure it's not "just" valves..

gonna save you a whole lotta headache (and probably some fuel money as well)