Need more power!!!!

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
Hello all,
Hoping someone can point me in the direction of some general technical data about injection system upgrades. Mainly what I am looking for is the max cc pump and injectors I should use on my 86 6.9 with an ats turbo ( not sure of exact model need to look at tag). Not looking to tear to far into the motor and upgrade since it has relatively low miles. I will for sure be installing head studs and upgrading the turbo impeller while I have the engine out to fix some oil leaks. Since the price tag for the pump and injectors varies with performance a great deal that will determine if I also install a water methanol system at the same time or a later date. Looking to purchase a camper and will be pulling it through the mountains of north ga allot. Any input or suggestions is appreciated.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 90cc pump on the shelf that can ship out tomorrow morning. https://classicdieseldesigns.com/products/90cc-db2-injection-pump-rebuild

M
y 90cc pumps are perfect for a stock 7.3 or a mildly upgraded 6.9, 15-20psi will clean up the fueling completely, and paired with my upgrades done to the factory turbo seen over 30 psi of boost on an idit out of a bolt on turbo. On a studded 6.9 you want to keep boost below 20 psi, so an intercooler would be a great upgrade especially over water methanol.

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response. Which injectors should I use with that particular pump? I Won’t be ready to do anything till spring. I don’t have a shop so all my work is done outside. Going to wait for warmer weather before I start. Just trying to get a Parts list worked up now so I can be ready.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pump pairs well with stock or stage one injectors if you want to pull some more performance out of the pump without compromising drivability or smoothness.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are three possible ATS kits, if we're excluding the Aurora kit. The first two are non-wastegated, while the third is wastegated. The wastegated 093 is also factory available on the 1993-1994 non-powerstroke turbo diesel, but with a smaller exhaust pipe and different coupling. The Ford spec downpipe used a v-band clamp instead of the ATS 3" pipe with slip coupling.

The 093 shown below is the original 093 with the full 3" downpipe. Also note that the air filter boxes on the 085 and 088 seem to be interchangeable. I have an 088 with the older style air filter assembly. The only way to be sure is to look at the turbine housing.

085:
You must be registered for see images attach

088:

093:

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score
Great prints! I will be making me a paper copy of this to keep. Based on the prints I have the 088. Everything feels really tight no slop. It did seem to have some abnormal resistance to me for an object meant to spin really fast. I gave it a few shots of PB blaster and wow it made a big difference. I’m sure when I take it off I will buy the rebuild kit and freshen it up. I will also probably swap the impeller for a wicked 2. Unless I do some more reading and find a better option. Do you have any recommendations?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thewespaul is the one you want to talk to but typ4 and Agnem also have turbo upgrade options. I tried the 60-1 compressor update and it didn't seem to work for me. Swapped back to the original compressor a few months back.

The only thing that sucks about the 088 is that one piece turbine side. It makes for an easier, and cleaner install with fewer possible leak points. But it also means you can't change the turbine side. It works well as is but to make boost out of an 088, you'll need RPM. Mine comes on ok in the mid 2000s RPM but pretty much dead weight at 1500-2000.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have several turbine and compressor wheel upgrades available for the 088, the latest is an 11 blade 61/82mm wheel, that is so far making 8 psi by 2000rpms and 22 psi peak out of a stock pump.

matthew mcelhaney

Reaction score

I found the ats filter housing to big and in the way. I went to autozone and spent someplace between 75-90 bucks for a much simpler setup. Now I have all the room I need to do just about anything on the top side of the engine.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like this one. I have done about 20 of these for folks.

33689106_2293705833979845_1049895542802350080_n-jpg.116527

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726