Need information

gandalf

Reaction score
My 1990 7.3 with E4OD throws a blinking light at the wait to start panel I need help

There are the magic words, "E4OD" and "blinking light".

How is the transmission shifting? That's a 4 speed transmission. Is it missing any gears in it's shift pattern? Are the shifts unnaturally hard, abrupt, harsh?

I can't remember where the OD light is on a 1990. On my '92 it's on the shift stalk/lever. Is it the OD light blinking?

Report back with answers to these questions.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly on the Bricknose trucks (87-91) the E4OD "OD OFF" switch and light is a button on the lower dash panel, to the right of the steering column, next to the Wait to Start and Water In Fuel light panel. Is the amber light blinking on the OD-OFF switch blinking. On this switch:

You must be registered for see images attach

Or is it the the Red Wait to Start or Water In Fuel Light Blinking on this panel:

You must be registered for see images attach

That will help us get headed in the right direction.... As it could be vastly different things....

Attachments

• mtPHgzaqhPWnEJiWTd7dnYA.jpg
    mtPHgzaqhPWnEJiWTd7dnYA.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 70

gandalf

Reaction score
Yes its the light on the overdrive panel that is blinking and also causes hard shifts.

Your transmission is controlled by the TCM, transmission control module. The TCM needs 3 inputs to work correctly. 1) The tachometer signal. That sensor is located on the IP gear housing, forward and to the driver's side of the injector pump. It has a nut fitting, about 1 inch, and 2 wires. Pull the sensor and clean it. If the tach is working, try #3. 2) The FIPL, mounted on the driver's side of the injector pump. This can be adjusted with a multimeter. It has 3 wires. Get instructions. Also, it could have died. 3) The VSS, vehicle speed sensor, located on the rear differential, front side, upper section. It will have a wire. If the speedometer is working well, then look at the FIPL. Ask instructions.

If any one of these 3 items has died or needs adjustment, the transmission, E4OD, will go into limp mode. Don't drive very far this way.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine blinked it only did it when I was hitting the brakes. I changed out my tach sensor no more blinking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online