Need help identifying turbo

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was perusing ebay when I came across this item:

IDI turbo

I was wondering if you guys could verify that it is from and IDI. I was thinking of picking it up and just fabbing my own exhaust and intercooler setup. However, I was searching around for some info on the turbo, when I found that these were not all that good from the factory.

Quote from Diesel Power website:

When Ford decided to jump into the turbo diesel market they hired ATS to work with Navistar to come up with a turbo version of their 7.3 idi. ATS/Navistar presented Ford with a TD that put out some nice numbers for it's day but unfortunately Ford did not want it to outperform it's bread and butter 460 gas pot. ATS pointed out that the non-turbo 7.3 had as much power as the 460 so in order to make a turbo version they would have to make the turbo charger a non functional decoration. Ford thought that was a great idea a told them to proceed. So ATS took all their hard work and welded big bumps in the turbo housing so it would not spool up and just fall on it's face. They also necked down the elbow, turned down the pump to less cc's than the non-turbo and crimped the exhaust almost closed. In the end the new Turbo Diesel idi had 3% more power than it's non-turbo brother. Ford was happy and it's customers and ATS were not....

So one, I'm wondering if it is in fact a factor IDI turbo, and two, is it worth messing with?

Thanks guys,

mR

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a turbo from an IDI...you can tell by the oil drain/pedestal casting.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the turbo itself has nothing wrong with it from a performance standpoint, just all the crap they put around it.

It's a T3/T04B hybrid so it's a pretty good turbo regardless.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whoever wrote the quotation you posted has their head up their ass. No corporate bean counter would allow something like that to fly. They did use a more restrictive outlet in order to get a better exhaust pipe seal. This turbo is missing that part.
imho this ebay listing is only good for someone who already has the kit and is looking for a spare turbo. this in not a good idea for someone who is starting with nothing. the parts needed to make it all work is prohibitively expensive. you can easily find complete kits for reasonable prices if you are patient. I've bagged two complete ATS 093 kits for less than $500 in a year and yes they are already gone.

tractorman86

Reaction score
it is a 1994 idi factory turbo(built by ATS for ford). calvin pretty much covered it though. the turbo isn't bad at all, it would however be a good building point for someone with either a lot of money and time to burn.

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money I don't have, but time I do. (well kind of) I'm not afraid to fab my own stuff, but I wasn't sure if this turbo would be worth building a setup around.

mR