Need anything invented?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for ideas.

I'm a mechanical engineering major, in my second design class. I have an assignment coming up where I have to invent something. It needs to be something small, be only one part, preferably plastic but could possibly be machined (and I would just print a model on a 3d plastic printer). I know the IDI isn't really easy to get aftermarket parts for, so I thought I'd check for some ideas here.

Last year, one of my friends made some "vents" for his Jeep. Jeep did not provide any heater vents that point towards the people on some Wranglers, they only had the vents to warm up the windshield. This results in cold people. So he printed two clip on vents that redirected half of the warm air off the windshield and toward the people. That is something like what I want to make.

I was thinking possibly a two gauge pod for the steering column, or possibly a four gauge pillar pod, for my truck, since I would like both and I don't think they're available. Last night I was thinking how I'd like to have a cupholder that would sit on my dash, cause I have a bench seat (which I really like). Any other ideas? Anything that would be just really nice to have. I was thinking of something like a transmission adapter, or something fancy like that but I think that is out of the scope of this assignment.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd would love to see a better slave cylinder for these IDI's. These plastic deals are basically designed to fail. They eventually crack and explode, leaving you stranded. You have to prophylatically replace the stupid thing (at least I do) at the first sign of trouble.

Something less difficult but just as handy would be a better strap for the slave cylinder's rod. The plastic one that comes stock doesn't last forever, and holding the rod in during removal or replacement of the slave cylinder is a huge PITA without it.

A kit to retro fit a grease fitting to the TOB would be great as well.

I don't know. I just think some of the components of the manual tranny system listed above could be improved upon.

Heath

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I would love to have a factory style plastic cup holder that has more than one cup hole. You could copy the plastic cup holder and add an extra cup hole toward the passenger. The rapid prototyping machines could easily make one. It could even be taller so it is closer to the top of the seat but still leave room for the throw of the shifter. If you do make one id be interested to see what you come up with and even interested in purchase of one if you can make more than one.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make a tool.

An intake cover (OTC made them, but they are non-existant) used to cover the intake when servicing. Just a cap with hole in it for a wing nut, or better yet, design it to hug the screen cover nut, so it just presses on. Don't forget a *** to grab for easy removal. If you want to get really fancy, modify it so that it is also a parts bowl for holding fasteners like the throttle cable bracket bolts, or the CDR valve bolts. You could print this out in the plastic printer and sell em'. I'd buy one for sure.

OR

Another tool. - Something that would have graduated steps in it that I can put between the high idle solenoid and throttle lever to hold the throttle open in steps of roughly 250 RPM.

OR

Another tool. - A hood latch belly protector. Something that would slip over the hood latch and create a larger surface to lay on that wont penetrate your stomach muscle. LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Another tool. - A hood latch belly protector. Something that would slip over the hood latch and create a larger surface to lay on that wont penetrate your stomach muscle. LOL

I'll support that. Them things are ******* the ribs too.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cool, we use 3-d printing survices here at work on a regular basis. if you want to really match the contour of a part you need to scan it with a laser.

i vote 2 gage steering pod

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I vote the stepped notched high idle part. That would be great for using the winch and charging the battery at the same time! It would be better than the 900 rpm charge.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, cool. That gives me some really good ideas. I don't even have to start for another few weeks so we'll see how it goes. I don't think I'll be able to make any extras of whatever I do make, but I will have everything needed to get an outside source to make 'em, just not sure what that would cost.