need a 12Vmanifold ASAP!

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
im in the middle of my cummins swap and ran into a problem. i was under the impression that all i needed to do was flip the dodge exhaust manifold over and the turbo would clear the AC box. this is not the case! i need a commercial/industrial manifold that puts the turbo output at a 90 degree angle straight down not 45 degrees out like the dodge manifold. ive been looking on ebay to no avail. if anyone has one or can find one please let me know! thanks! im really cutting it close to having no time to finish it for towing my camper to the rally.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 4bt chevy manifold puts it strait down at the very back. I think thats the way the industrial manifold is.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The standard Cummins manifold can be oriented to point the turbo either straight UP or straight DOWN.

You need a standard run-of-the-mill Cummins manifold and orient it with the outlet pointing UP and you will have miles of room for the A/C box.

Alas, Cummins engines on anything but Dodge trucks are NEVER parted out; there are enough punks that can destroy anything driving the Dodge trucks to keep a few engines being parted out most always; these kids seldom have reason to drive/operate anything with the standard manifold.

I searched and finally found the ONLY USED ONE I have ever seen for sale anywhere on E-BAY; I bid high and got it.

For a few years I ran the Dodge manifold oriented in Dodge fashion.

The turbo exhaust-housing was hard against the A/C box, necessitating me to re-mold the plastic box away from the turbo by using a heat-gun and tire-spoon.

I then resorted to removing the plastic box, cutting away the plastic on that side, and replacing it with the bottom of a brand-new Dollar General Store baking pan, also molded for clearance.

This stopped me having to always run the A/C, even in winter, just to keep the box from melting and smoking me out.

In all cases, I covered the box with several layers of that outer-space astronaut ten-million-degree adhesive foil sheeting stuff; it looked :thumbsup: but did nothing to prevent the plastic melting.

You have three options :

#1. Flip the Dodge manifold with the outlet UP.

Fabricate a WEDGE shaped spacer-block on the outlet that places the turbo a little more than straight up.

This spacer will have to have two flange-plates that mate to the manifold and the turbo.

There need not be a plenum divider in this spacer; some of the turbos/manifolds have the divider; some don't.

This spacer will require two turbo gaskets.

#2. Custom fabricate a header that puts the turbo anywhere you want it.

#3 Go to the Cummins store and just buy a brand-new manifold; I bet they are not nearly so expensive as one might think.

I used new studs/washers/nuts from McMaster-CARR and plenty of anti-sieze when I mounted my standard manifold. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, you DO KNOW that you will have to re-clock the turbo, both sides, when you relocate it ??

If you have never re-clocked a turbo, it is a :backoff sledge-hammering :backoff experience that you won't soon forget. LOL

The oil feed-line and drain-back cannot be more than 10* off plumb and best if perfectly plumb.

You will have to cut and re-position/re-weld the drain-back tube, plus buy a couple foot of SILICONE --- VERY ODD 7/8-ID --- hose for the repositioned drain-back.

Or, you can buy one of those adjustable orientable drain-back tubes from one of the racing turbo companies. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 4bt chevy manifold puts it strait down at the very back. I think thats the way the industrial manifold is.

There are numerous 6BT manifold designs with the outlet positioned in just about every imaginable orientation.

The Cummins manifold can be flipped upside down AND the oil-pan can be swapped end for end, among many other adaptable atttributes. :)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I heard rumor that you could use a manifold from the newer common rail cummins, some of which mount the turbo more forward than the center (as they were on 12v's).

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard rumor that you could use a manifold from the newer common rail cummins, some of which mount the turbo more forward than the center (as they were on 12v's).

I have seen a lot of Cummins in Fords, but have not yet seen that style of manifold used, so maybe or maybe not. :dunno

One thing I do know for certain is that, when used in a 1980-199? Ford, you need that exhaust outlet to be as close to center as possible.

Any farther forward and there is nowhere for the alternator on that side anymore.

Any farther rearward and there is nowhere to route the down-pipe anymore.

The LONG inline engine fills every speck of territory between a Ford firewall and radiator.

The best manifold possible for a Ford application is the standard center-outlet 90* manifold with the outlet pointed UP. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> HERE YOU GO <<<

im in the middle of my cummins swap and ran into a problem. i was under the impression that all i needed to do was flip the dodge exhaust manifold over and the turbo would clear the AC box. this is not the case! i need a commercial/industrial manifold that puts the turbo output at a 90 degree angle straight down not 45 degrees out like the dodge manifold. ive been looking on ebay to no avail. if anyone has one or can find one please let me know! thanks! im really cutting it close to having no time to finish it for towing my camper to the rally.

You can thank Mr. Darrin Tosh for this good example :

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2824591340101950171VXyaGs

That is the manifold that you need. :)

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
im currently in the middle of fabbing up a potential solution to the turbo location problem. in my mind it works fantastically! im almost done fabbing. i dont really want to throw any info out just yet in case its a complete failure. but if it works ill certainly let ya'll know!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for one out of a bus. Looks just like the one in the above post. I've got one for my swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online