Name that TURBO!!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I bought my 86 CC several years ago for a song! The reason I got such a great truck for cheap was because the motor was probably toast...... probably.......but I'm crazy. The story was the previous-previous owner shut the motor off immediately when the turbo disentigrated.......so said the post previous cousin of the owners sister. So gambler as I am knew when to hold and NOT to fold and bought the first diesel I ever owned....and the rest is well..... you know....but not really. So I made the turbo charged a N/A, not knowing anything about it (mind you I didn't do the internet until about 2 years ago, I literally "read books and talked to people") and I drove that motor for more than a year before the stuff that had gotten sucked into #8cyl finally ate past the rings and she started drinking oil. Then I got my first 7.3 that cavitated, but that's another story.
So the original 6.9 was a "dealers Diesel" with a disentigrated "roto-master" turbo. The thing is the turbo mounted directly on the driver's side exhaust manifold. I haven't seen one like in on the forum here or on ebay. Is this unique? Is it good? Any information, oil burner friends? I still have the metal plate on it for making it a N/A motor.

Attachments

• IMG_20220606_171354.jpg
    IMG_20220606_171354.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220606_171407.jpg
    IMG_20220606_171407.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 21

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I don't know much about the setup, but it's interesting that it only used one bank for exhaust, seems like either a twin turbo design, if you had the matching manifold for the other side, or a poor design. Lots of lost thermal potential only using one bank. Interested in what you find out.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotomaster / RayJay

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exhaust manifolds were connected and it had the single 4in coming off the turbo. It used both banks.
I don't know much about the setup, but it's interesting that it only used one bank for exhaust, seems like either a twin turbo design, if you had the matching manifold for the other side, or a poor design. Lots of lost thermal potential only using one bank. Interested in what you find out.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Some people on here have them. You just have to look kind of hard to find them. I believe that someone on here is running a similar turbo, if not the same thing, and he said that he was getting about 10 PSI or so out of it. Is it unique? Yes, but not a one of a kind. Is it good? I suppose that depends on your definition of "good": can it be rebuilt? Yes. Will it ever be a high horsepower monster with this turbo? No. Is it better than a N/A engine? It will certainly give you more power so I guess that's better.

CADHOWDY

Reaction score
I have this very set up from a parts truck. This is a link for other info and pictures that I found.

I haven’t updated in a little while but this link is my build using this turbo setup.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's it. Im not much of a picture taker, I'm getting better, but my setup was pretty much the same when I got my truck. It was all hard piped instead of the flex stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online